Demijons or Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahma

Reaction score
Hi there! I am new to cider making, having taken possesion of an allotment this year that has two big apple trees on it.

I have collected loads of apples and have bought a 5 gallon barrel and 2 demijons. I reckon I've got in the region of 50lbs of apples so I reckon about 2-3 gallons of juice. Is it ok to put all the juice in the 5 gallon barrel and ferment it in there? Will it matter that the barrel is only half full? Would the air in the barrel give me a problem? Should I just use the demijons?

Many thanks for any help and feedback?

Welcome to HBT.

I presume you are in the UK!

The barrel will be fine. Once the apples start to ferment it will create a protective must and a layer of co2 that will keep the oxygen away.

It's worth putting your location in your profile so people know where you are.

Thanks for your quick reply! I am in the UK - have updated my profile as you suggested. Pleased I can use the barrel as I dont want to waste any juice! I didn't know whether I had to add water to the mix if I wasn't using the whole barrel.

When do I find out if I need to add sugar to the juice to enhance the alcohol content?

Yes, to increase the alcohol content in your cider, add fermentable sugar & wait for the yeast to do it's job. Regards, GF.

As soon as you have a container of the fresh juice, and before you add anything to it, take a six ounce sample of it, and get a specific gravity reading of it.

If you don't already have access to a hydrometer, you will need one to determine the potential alcohol in your juice, as well as to determine the status of your cider/wine/beer as it ferments, whether you make any additions or not.

Pogo

Table sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, honey, glucose (also called "dextrose" and "corn sugar" I believe).

Basically any sugar you can easily obtain except for lactose.

Latest posts

Back