Dell XPS 15 l502x

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
It's about 2 year old dell laptop. I'm not gonna 100% say avoid all dell laptops, but avoid this junker for sure.

For starters, (and I know this isn't gonna be exclusive to my laptop) the entire computer power is ran on a connection from the power on button to the motherboard. If you lose a single button on the keyboard, you have to replace the whole keyboard. And my biggest complaint of all, maybe about 5 months after the warranty runs out, either the power cable, the battery, the power input, or something on the motherboard went and I have to do a song and dance fiddling with spinning the power cable around to get a good connection or I get an error message along the line of "unauthorized charger connect a dell 130W or greater charger." anyway in that error message mode the computer (which has an Intel i5 Sandy Bridge processor 6 gigs of ram, etc.) runs like molasses in sub 0 temperatures.

Anyway long story short, my next laptop I'd need a better charging system or I'm thinking of getting a Chrome Laptop which is cheaper and does what I need. And if it breaks instead of being a 1000 dollar laptop breaking it would be a 200-300 dollar one.

For starters, (and I know this isn't gonna be exclusive to my laptop) the entire computer power is ran on a connection from the power on button to the motherboard.

Not to be "that guy" but how else would you power on a laptop/workstation?

I do agree, for the most part, that dell consumer products suck.

I don't know, these companies spend millions on R&D. They could have it set up where it's not so easy to break. I know it's not exclusive to my laptop as I said, Ithink most use a system like that if not all, but I would not mind that going away. I would imagine just either a simple moving of the power button, or not making the power button part of the palm rest assembly would almost eliminate that problem in fact.

Oh and my laptop broke further, now the charger randomly decides when it wants to give power to my computer so I am now forced to replace that. Womp womp.

I don't think I'm ever gonna splurge on a laptop again, the stupid things break too easily.

The Dell laptop I had prior to the current HP laptop was way better (these are work-provided laptops). Never had a lick of problems with the Dell. The HP, well, I cross my fingers that it'll boot up properly each time I start it.

FWIW, some laptops have known issues with the power input jack where it solders to the board. Dunno if that's the case with yours but it's not an unknown issue with some models/brands.

I don't know what exactly is wrong with mine, I'm hoping it's jsut the charger sucks and wasn't putting out the proper wattage, cause that's a cheap and easy fix. Installing a new power jack, bleh. I'd probably sell it for a few hundred bucks and pick up a new one.

I loved this thing btw for the first year then magically things start going wrong after year one and it's no longer under warranty they want me to pay 200+ bucks for the warranty I told them to kiss my grits. If I wanted that kind of shenanigans I woudl buy a Macbook.

Many credit card companies provide extra warranty on items purchased with their card. Mine, I believe, will double the original warranty up to an extra year. If you bought with a card (even if you paid the balance off immediately) I'd check into that pronto.

Credit cards are fine as long as you mange them instead of vice versa. Would've proven quite beneficial in this deal.

That is true. I just rather not have the temptation of a credit card. I have an addictive personality so spending money becomes addictive as well, so I prefer to control myself. I have credit cards for true emergencies locked away Hank Hill style where I won't see them in my day to day life.

It's very common for power cables to short at the base of the connector. It's also pretty common for laptops to have a bad solder joint where the DC jack is soldered to the motherboard. I recently repaired a laptop that smartly had a replaceable connector. The DC jack was held in place in the laptop housing and had a wire running to a header on the MOBO. Made replacing the DC connector a breeze!

And most laptops can be powered up without the keyboard plugged in. Not sure why yours is not working that way.

FYI you might find a new power adapter on Ebay for not a lot of money. Might even be able to find a replacement for the keyboard/palmrest thing you said broke. I bet someone has posted instructions on how to replace parts on that thing, maybe on Youtube.

I already replaced the palm rest assembly, that set me back like 15 bucks. I ordered the charger off Amazon for 21 bucks and it looks like the original as well so double points.

I'm seriously hoping my other issues (the one where it says incompatable adapter or whatever) is solved by that but if it isn't I can live. Right now you should see what I'm doing to keep my laptop running until my replacement arrives. Only positive is to get the free super saver shipping, I had to order a scale, which measures in 10ths of an ounce an has a capacity of 11 pounds. Anyone wanna guess what I'll be using it for? :ban:

Back