Degassing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHoward

Reaction score
Will the wine degass itself after fermentation finishes? or will I need to degass a still wine to get rid of the slight sparkle it has while fermenting?

If I do it, then the method I just read seems to need more headspace than what I've seen recommended in secondaries, so I'd like to hear how you would normally degas?

From what i understand the need to degass depends on what kind of wine(some kits recommend it). The amount of time you are planning on having the wine in secondary also affects this. I believe if you have a long secondary and rack off of lees 2-3 times the need to degass is diminished or eliminated as time allowed all gas to come out of suspension. However being still new to wine please someone correct me if i am giving false info.

The answer to your first question is YES...it will degas on its own, GIVEN ENOUGH TIME.

The method is generally to stir the wine with a drill mounted paddle (and that generally requires you to take some wine out to allow for foaming, you can put it back when you are done).

Other method is to apply some sort of vacuum source to the carboy and lower the pressure enough to let the gas out. If done gently, foam is minimal. I combine both methods, heavy stirring when I add the final chemicals and vacuum before bottling.

Without any intervention, it could take 6 months to a year for the gas to come out on its own.

Back