Degassing cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejamesnelson

Reaction score
I have recently started making some meads, and have learned that mead needs to be degassed during fermentation. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried this with a cider. Or is the possibility of oxidizing the cider too great.

I don't know, but I'm doing another batch this weekend and I'm going to treat it like a mead.. with nutrients and degassing. If you are patient enough... I'll answer your question. So far, I've just fermented cider like beer and always get the sulphur smell without aging.

Degassing is not necessary with cider in my opinion, and the risk of oxidation is way too high.

What I do think is key is allowing for a secondary fermentation and letting the cider mature. Some like to let it sit for a year before drinking. I never have that kind of patience, but I can often wait a few months and it's worth it.

I've never once had an oxidation problem. I degas if I feel like it usually, has never made much difference in the long run.

when you degas the cider, how much faster would you say that it is drinkable, ie. It looses any kind of off flavor?

Back