Definitely infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWiggles

Reaction score
So, it is now day 4 after brewing up my Witzbold Weizen and it is for sure 100% infected. I was told by my LHBS owner not to synch the lid down for the first few days because the WL hefeweizen yeast is pretty strong and will foam up real big and clog the airlock, so leaving the lid loose will punch that back down. Well, it never even started fermenting. Yesterday I was certain it was either finally fermenting, or it was lacto. Now I can see green around the edge a bit a little and a bit of a film over top, with a small white chunk off-center. The gravity has not changed at all yet either. I had cleaned everything with B-brite, labeled as a no-rinse sanitizer, and pitched the yeast at around 76-78*.
Is all hope lost?

it was a lighter green than the hop residue on my first batch, and didnt look grainy either. Maybe I am being nervous since it is only my second brew, but according to my LHBS it would have been done with the hardcore blow-off causing fermenting at this point, not still sitting at 1.048.

Sounds like a typical nervous new brewer false alarm. It's really a bad idea to compare how one fermentation looks over another, since different yeast strains produce different looking fermentation activity. Many folks loosely cover their fermenters, because the co2 being produced will protect the beer from any nasties getting in, AND it is really difficult to ruin your beer. It is highly doubtful that you have a lacto infection after only 4 days of fermentation going on. At this point the beer yeast is the dominant creature in there, it's not going to let lacto take hold so soon.Just relax fermentation is often an ugly and stinky thing, and that is perfectly normal.

:mug:

I have fermented two batches side by side in a big swamp cooler using glass carboys...same yeast strain and the fermentation didn't look remotely similar.

ditto... my weizen took 15 days to complete, never came close to the top of the bucket, never needed a blow off tube, low and slow.. . . agree with the relax and . . .

I almost never use air-tight seals on my primary fermentations anymore. A bit of tin foil, or a plastic lid (with no gasket) if I'm using a bucket. Never had an infection. In fact, I just found a couple of 2-year-old beers in the back of my beer cave (at just under room temperature) that are tasting just fine after all that time and opportunity for the smallest of infections to multiply and become very apparent.

Ok guys, you win... :eek:
I just checked it and there is a nice 1.5-2 inch head of krausen on top and it smells nice. I noticed the closet smelled more like beer yesterday but was too afraid to check it out. I was just really surprised to see that it took so long (4 and a half days) to even show any signs of fermentation. But, I will say that I read somewhere that the sticker thermometers may be 10* lower than beer temps so I imagine I may have pitched the yeast at around 90* if that is the case, therefore killing a good bit of yeast and causing a very slow start. I'll let her rest and do her thing for the next couple weeks and follow up with a gravity reading and let y'all know how my "Witzbold Weizen" comes out.
Apologies for the frantic misjudgement.

P.S. I came up with the name before brewing this beer for the caramel malt/carawheat steeping grains plus rasp. extract I'll add later, but I think it fits even better now after having thrown me for a loop! (Witzbold=Joker/practical joker in German)

Yeah, I can remember my first post like yours, which was only five batches ago. It's funny, I guess I'm still really new at this but I have learned so much in just a few months of brewing.

Glad to hear its sounding good. Kick back and stop worrying. This thing is far harder to screw up than most will allow you to believe.

Thanks, Revvy. I read that thread about a week ago and was thinking "ok, I got this! Nothing should go wrong." But then, I remembered the Ferm. can take up to 24-72 hrs to show signs thread and was like "well, it's been well over 72 hrs, something must be wrong!". I felt like such a noob to see what I had truly believed to be infected coming along just fine. Maybe it'll be easier to RDWHAHB once I actually have some homebrew to drink!

Thanks, Revvy. I read that thread about a week ago and was thinking "ok, I got this! Nothing should go wrong." But then, I remembered the Ferm. can take up to 24-72 hrs to show signs thread and was like "well, it's been well over 72 hrs, something must be wrong!". I felt like such a noob to see what I had truly believed to be infected coming along just fine. Maybe it'll be easier to RDWHAHB once I actually have some homebrew to drink!

Well nothing really can go wrong in a closed enviroment after 72 hours as well...it's just that new brewers tend to rely on airlock activity like it were a calibrated machine or something....and we know that USUALLY within 72 hours krausen forms and gravity drops even slightly...so we want them to relax then open the bucket after 3 days...if you follow THOSE threads about 90% of the time, the see krausen....of the remainder about 9.5% of the remainders take a grav reading and have a drop in gravity.

Most of us who trust the yeast and who just pitch and walk away for a month, couldn't really tell you WHEN fermentation begins....or ends for that matter....and we don't really care. We trust the yeast to do what it's been doing since time began....

It's common, despite all the info we put out here, every new brewer thinks their situation/beer is unique. But that's rarely the case. No matter what YOU think might be different the basic rules are the same.

Wait 72 hours, take a hydro reading, THEN deal with the outcome. Which is usually slap your self silly for not giving the yeast the props it deserves.

Or in the "worst case" you pitch more yeast...no big deal...

I can't think of any situation where that basic premise would be change. It's a simple matter or ruling out the normal first it's the same with bottle carbing/conditioning, and why we tell people to wait a minimum of 3 weeks @ 70 degrees, before being concerned. In both cases you have to pass a window of the normal behavior time of living microorganisms.

And rarely, like .001% of the time does the yeast not do their job in that timeframe.

The idea of yeast "dying" or there being "bad" yeast is another one of those holdovers from bygone days (like before 1978 when it was legalizied in the states), when yeast was in cake form, of undetermined origin and traveled in the hot cargo hold of ships for months, and sat on grocer's shelves for god knows how long.

Then Charlie Papazian, and other authors wrote about yeast being "finnicky."

Which of course sews seeds of doubt in many a nervous new brewer.

But nowadays modern yeast rarely lets us down. It doesn't just "die" unless you dumped it in boiling wort and killed it. And it rarely doesn't start either.

:mug:

Well, I've learned not to rely on airlock activity already. I've watched my apfelwein not bubble for almost a week, but become very clear over that week. Plus, I wasn't worried about the airlock on my weizen because the lid was not sealed anyway. I mostly worried myself because in my new-brewer anxiety I repeatedly lifted the lid after about 2 days at once a day then convinced myself I let something bad in. But hey, on the flip side, when I took off the lid of my brown ale the airlock sucked some water in but I have yet to worry myself over that. I figure im not touching the brown ale again for another week till I bottle.

Back