Defective regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthaug

Reaction score
A week ago I came into some kegging equipment. I'm new at this, so I'm not 100% sure how it should work. I've tried pressurizing my cylinders to check for leaks - no leaks detected, but pressurization seems to be quite slow - if I push in the pin on the CO2 connector I get a slow flow with a slight hiss (at ~10psi). If I up the pressure to 20PSI the flow does go faster, but is still quite slow, although I can hear a bit of hissing in the regulator at this pressure. I was expecting a much more rapid flow - I don't see how this could dispense a keg without having to pause for the keg to re-charge every half-glass or so.

What I'm wondering is if there is something wrong with the regulator, or is this normal?

Thanx

Bryan

Hard to measure "slow flow" and "slight hiss" from here, and your metrics might be completely different from mine.

And it really doesn't take much gas volume to push beer up a hose through a faucet.

I'm inclined to say "It's normal", until you come up with a better way to quantify what you think you're seeing. You might try filling the keg with water, hook up the gas line, and hook up 10' of 3/16" beer line to the keg and a faucet or picnic tap, and see what happens...

Cheers!

Back