Defective Hydrometer results in Tasty IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
So I usually never take a hydro reading, but for some reason I decided to with my last batch of IPA about 2 months ago. It read really low. It should have been around 1.060 and was around 1.045. So what did I do? I just dumped "about" a pound and a 1/2 of corn sugar that I had laying around for almost 5 years into the already cooled wort and stirred it in cold, sealed it up, and let it go.

Turns out, that hydrometer was very off and the beer was most likely exactly where it was supposed to be.

So I finally tapped the keg last week and wow, it is really good! You can taste the extra alcohol but not overpowering at all. Really good almost like a Belgian Trippel with an IPA taste. I doubt I will use this method in the future as it is obviously asking for trouble but it sure worked out this time! I might add a pound of corn sugar to the boil with the next batch.

Perhaps the wort was not mixed well? Was this an extract or AG recipe? Check your hydrometer in tap water at 60* to see if it reads 1.000. If its low, then its not calibrated right, and time to get a new one. A half lb of dextrose to a 5 gallon brew, wont bring up the gravity too much?
If it came of really good, then I guess its a success :)

Back