Deep Six Brewing System - v2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow this thing is simply amazing. My hopes and dreams were to build something like a Brutus 10, but you just took a sledge and completely crushed them.

JB, after checking out your setup, I was wondering if you could answer this for me. Do you have any idea which would be more efficient, cheaper, and consistent to use? A Brutus 10 deal or a HERMS like yours (minus the automated program and touchscreen).

Excellent work by the way, I only wish I had the 'handy' skills you have to complete projects like you do. You are the homebrew DIY master.

Thanks for the compliment. I've never messed with a multi-burner, direct-fire setup like the Brutus 10... only my electric HERMS setup. You can take a look at my original setup here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-herms-setup-39422/ It used three love controllers and some finesse to control, but did a good job.

Amazing work, I can only hope mine turns out close to as good as yours.

I'm sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find it in all the posts, what size copper are you using for the heat exchanger coil?

Amazing work, I can only hope mine turns out close to as good as yours.

I'm sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find it in all the posts, what size copper are you using for the heat exchanger coil?

I should remember this, but I don't... it is either 3/8" or 1/2" OD - I think 1/2"...

Any further thoughts on marketing and selling your brewery v2.0 automation software and putting together a parts list and diagram of the hardware configuration?

Truly remarkable stuff .... great work and I hope you can get back to brewing soon !

Question. After all this awesomeness are you still utilizing a 3rd keg on a propane burner for boiling? I'm trying to fathom how you biol with this rig.

So it has been about 17 months since the last update. Any progress or news? I would enjoy seeing a diagram and details on the proposed finalized system. She's a beauty. Cheers.

I know this is a late post, but I have been researching and just stumbled upon this thread. I hope it's not too late to say what an impressive project that is. Very nice indeed. Any chance of getting an update on this?
Cheers!

JUst saw that you had some trouble with flooding a while back. Sorry to hear of it, and I hope you came out ok.

+1 on the flooding. Here in jersey we have been fighting it too!!!

Posting to subscribe. Hope to see an update soon

Very nice work!!!

Hmm.. apologies for not checking this thread. Seems there is still interest in it. I haven't really kept up with other people's advancements but figured mine was old news by now. :)

I am brewing a simple Pale Ale this afternoon.. will upload a lot of photos during the process to show it all put together.

I have done some work to the system since it was last shown, primarily with completing the menus, etc. I am also now very involved with microprocessors, such as the Arduino, BeagleBone, etc. I still think doing this project with a LabJack and a windows PC gave me the best results. I will post a few examples of why here shortly when I get her fired up..

I just realized I teased this a few years ago but never posted my system actually running through my iPad.. pretty slick.

06-11-13a-60213.jpg

Well, I wrote the software, so no cost there - just time.. I used a LabJack U3 for the interface and I believe the 5 relays were purchased off eBay. The two keggles were purchased off eBay from a vendor whom I'm not sure is even still around - they were custom designed to my specs.

The rest of my system has been documented in different threads on the forum (and in my signature)..

But the truth is, I consider this my hobby (at this point) and, as such, I do my best to not keep up with how much I'm spending on it. :)

Brew Session in progress.. I step mash. I think it was just finishing the Intermediate Rest and about to ramp up for the 'Saccharification Rest when I took the pic.

06-11-13b-60214.jpg

Pre-cleaning the boil kettle and plate chiller. You can see my hop strainer in the background.. it won't be used for this brew. Also, my two fermentation cabinets are on the right.

Also, you can see my makeshift repairs due to a slight leak on the outtake of the recirculating coil on the HLT.. :)

06-11-13c-60215.jpg

Are you going to sell the software? I'd buy it and looks like some other people would do too. Don't just tease us with pictures!

I've danced around this idea for awhile now.. It is somewhat realistic, but there just seems to be too many variables to sell it as anything less than an entire package that would likely be a fairly substantial investment. Plus, I'm just not setup to support.

I love this. Everything I do is DIY and I'm pretty handy but I just don't have the brewing experience to even understand what's going on here, as I haven't even gotten past extract brewing yet. Maybe one day. Awesome work.

Back