Deep Cleaning BG14 Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylar

Reaction score
One of my Bayou Classic BG14 burners hasn't been burning well lately. I've noticed thick black soot caked on my kettles and brew rig. The orifices on the burner that aren't clogged produce a weak yellow flame.

This lead me to soak the burner in hot water with PBW. After an hour I used a scrub brush to help remove any loose rust and debris. Pipe cleaners were used to help clean out the inside of each orifice.

I then prepped the burner for a paint touch-up, again using pipe cleaners.

Once dry, I plan on blowing off the loose pipe cleaner fuzz and mounting it back onto the rig for a test.

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

The "before" burner looks so sad. It's amazing it got you through the brew day.
The "after" looks awesome! :mug:

[edit] Looking at the rub pattern from the kettle bottom combined with the tiny gap between the top of the windscreen and the frame, I'd say the reason your burner grew so sad is the exhaust path is severely restricted to just the very corners of the diamond...

attachment.php

The "before" burner looks so sad. It's amazing Looking at the rub pattern from the kettle bottom combined with the tiny gap between the top of the windscreen and the frame, I'd say the reason your burner grew so sad is the exhaust path is severely restricted to just the very corners of the diamond...

I agree. During my next batch I'll prop up my kettle using extra steel tubing I have laying around.

I tested the burner this afternoon and it burns much better now.

IMG_1185.JPG

Back