Decoction and hsa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
So I'm doing a decoction mash right now. For those worried about hot side aeration--how can you not be adding O2 with all of the stirring and transferring that takes place in decoction mashing?

Maybe you need to think about it differently. If HSA were anything other than a boogeyman for the homebrewer, then why would all these folks be stirring their mashes during decoction?

In other words, be one of those folks who aren't worried about HSA.

Yeah I know, but still had to ask the question. If you look for Surly Wet on youtube, it shows how they did the wet hopping. Basically they took firehoses and blew hot wort all over a vat of hops. No comments on cardboard taste on that one on beeradvocate.

With decoction you haven't added the hops yet. I'm with all of the above that I don't worry about it, but if it were a thing, I'd think it's mainly from the hops isoalpha acids & oxygen. So not a concern with mashing/decocting.

Yeah so I did a decoction mash and a 90 minute boil while single handedly watching a 4 year old and a 4 month old (girls). Try doing that all you mofos ;) Happy New Year!

More intriguing IMO is the worry about tannin extraction with temps over 170. Not saying it isn't real, I'm not experienced enough to say, but I did a double decoction hefeweizen and it tastes great, no astringency, and wouldn't a decoction be more at risk for tannin extraction? I didn't even pay any attention whatsoever to the decoction PH.

Rev.

Back