Debittered Black / Blackprinz in Bru'n Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRyderr

Reaction score
Calculating for tomorrow's brew day.. Never used debittered Black malts before. Should I treat it as a roasted malt on the spread sheet?

Calculating for tomorrow's brew day.. Never used debittered Black malts before. Should I treat it as a roasted malt on the spread sheet?

Definitely. The pH data I've seen for "Carafa Special" type malts fits in with other dark roasted malts pretty well, and they are roasted malts, so unless your sheet has data specific to them, I would go with "roasted."

Another option if the DipH of dark malt is unknown would be steeping the dark grains separately from the main mash, then adding the runoff directly to the kettle when lautering the main mash.

Thanks for the replies. I treated the malt as roasted in the spread sheet. My actual mash PH ended up a fair bit higher than anticipated, but I think part of the reason is that I'm still tweaking volume parameters on my new setup. I hit high on mash PH in my previous brew too, and that was a beer that I've brewed probably 20 times on my old system. I have found that when data is input correctly, my measured PH comes very close to what Bru'n water says it will.

Back