Dealing with unmalted ingredients and the bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuckit

Reaction score
I've done a number of brews with unmalted wheat and oats. On the unmalted wheat side it's been up to 50% of my grain bill. The oats have been up to 10%. I've done a cereal mash on the side for the wheat and I've also skipped that part. When I pull the bag after mash it's always a bit gummy and I have a hell of a time getting the bag to drain. Even 10% oats that have been boiled cause problems draining.

Seems the wheat/oats gum up the swiss voile. I recirculate and I think that pulls the gummy starch into the voile. I don't want to give up recirculating.

Anyone else have this problem and anyone have some solutions?

Nice eBIAB build.

First off, comes to mind is the "b-glucanase rest 98-113 F for 20 minutes and a short protein rest at 122 F to help break down some of the gummy bits"

I would try a full volume BIAB (using all the water needed at the beginning), and a mash out for "making the sugars more fluid". This would give you the thinnest liquor to grain ratio.

There is also a discussion on BIABrewer.info about using rice hulls (to prevent compaction) in an eBIAB with recirculation, which one guy says it works. It's about compaction, in general, not about using wheat. Hope this link helps you; linky

I've mashed out in the past but stopped doing so a year ago. It might help with the gummy bag. Will try.

I'll give the rice hulls a shot too. Going to brew a lambic this weekend. Anything to help with all that wheat is worth a try.

Back