dealing with keezer humidity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
Obviously, the downside of running a freezer at non freezing temps is the huge amount of humidity. It runs about 80-95% humidity in mine.

Now, this isn't a problem per se, but I just removed a keg that was in there for a longer time and it has mold all over it. Not cool.

Was thinking about using some rechargable dessicant but that seems like an additional task for me to remember, and I'd rather come up with something more clever.

The number one reason for excessive condensation is an air leak somewhere. The somewhere is usually at the lid or door seal. It only takes a tiny pinhole leak to cause problems. Some condensation is normal and mostly unavoidable, but eliminating the air leaks helps tremendously. I have a converted freezer with a collar that I use for serving. A small amount of condensation accumulates eventually, but It's really a trivial amount and I don't have any mold problems such as you described. I don't use any dessicant at all, but I do have a small muffin fan in the freezer running full time. The fan was installed to help keep the beer lines and taps cold, but it also seems to have helped with the condensation, although I don't understand why that would be. Check you seals first thing. You could try putting a bright light inside the freezer in a darkened room which might reveal some seal leaks. The dessicants will work, but I found that if you have good seal, you can get by without them.

Hmm. I do have the temp controller thermometer breaking the seal. I guess that could be enough to cause the problem?

Guess I need to get that more hardwired then and see if it improves.

Thanks.

It also depends on your area and the temp you keep it at - I am not using a collar or anything, but I keep 2 buckets of Damp Rid in my kegerator at all times.

Hmm. I do have the temp controller thermometer breaking the seal. I guess that could be enough to cause the problem?

Guess I need to get that more hardwired then and see if it improves.

Thanks.

Yes, absolutely the controller probe wire or tube is enough to cause a problem. I learned this with my upright freezer that I use for food storage. I had a digital thermometer on it with the probe wire under the door seal at the top. I noticed that moisture from the air would condense just inside right at that spot to the extent that it formed a fairly large icicle. The freezer was also accumulated a lot more frost than usual requiring premature defrosting. I have since removed the thermometer/probe and everything is back to normal. I was surprised that such a tiny air leak could cause that much trouble.

good call on damp rid, I will pick some of that up. In the meantime, I guess I will start planning my first hole in the keezer. Her virginity thusfar has been maintained (she's just a temp controlled freezer ATM, really.

I am having success with good ole Calcium Chloride (otherwise know as Ice Melt Pellets). They will suck up water like a sponge, but then start to dissolve themselves in the water they soak up. I had good results spreading the pellets on a baking sheet, then baking them at 350 degrees for an hour to drive off most of the water. The pellets will turn to flakes or a solid mass, but will become waterlogged. Since a baking sheet takes up a lot of room, I am putting them into a crock used to make sauerkraut. It takes up less room and sits on the step inside the keezer. I put additional pellets in (about 3 lbs total) and am baking them to drive off the moisture right now. Dried things out nicely.

I know this isn't helpful but I have a container of fragrance free damprid in mine which works pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a rechargeable dehumidifier in addition to a computer fan that runs full time.
I also live in MT so humidity isn't much of a problem.

Okay, well I see you live in Austin and here is how I got rid of my humidity problem. It is just a bilge fan that I run with a pulse width modulator to control the speed. I actually got the idea from dahappycamper. Hope this helps.

air-circulation.jpg

Back