Dealing with hop harshness in neipas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nozomu

Reaction score
Hey guys,

been trying to brew neipas lately. I finally got the level of hop flavor i wanted, however it's the wrong sort of flavors. It's like just chewing straight into a hop pellet, super harsh and grassy. Can you guys give me any advice on getting fruitiness out of the hops instead?

What does your process look like? Specifically...
- When are you adding the dry hops?
- How many dry hops are you adding?
- Are you able to cold crash and are you doing so?

There are tons of people here with great advice for brewing this style (@Dgallo). I can say that on my most recent one, I took a lot of cues from the member I just mentioned.
- I did not dry hop with active fermentation going.
- Once fermentation finished, did a "soft crash" at 50*F to drop most yeast.
- Warmed back up to 60*F and did first dry hop for 2 days
- Did second dry hop 2 days before kegging

By far the best example I've done to date.

Based on your description, I THINK you have a lot of hop particulate still in suspension, resulting in "hop burn".

Can you share a bit about your process in regards to my initial questions? Be as detailed as you can. Once we have a bit of that information, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

^ this is especially true if you’re brewing with a heavy oat (flaked or malted) grainbill, using certain hops that have a higher polyphenol content, and yeast strains that bind more proteins and polyphenols during fermentation.

Dry hop during fermentation then move to keg on top of second dry hop, am not cold crashing.

Latest posts

Back