Dead Ringer yeast selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
What yeast would you guys choose for Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer? They suggest US-05, Wyeast 1056, or WLP001. Looking to buy the kit tomorrow using my 20% off coupon code.

I have a couple packs of US-05 in the fridge, but am thinking about going with one of the liquid yeasts unless you guys convince me otherwise.

I just brewed a Two Hearted clone and harvested Bell's house yeast from a sixer of Oberon.

If you don't want to do that, Wyeast 1272 is just about identical.

Can you get Bell's in your area? You can get a sixer of Bell's Amber for the price of liquid yeast. Harvest the dregs. Get your yeast and a buzz.

Edit: MatterOne beat me to it.

That sounds like a fun suggestion. Do most of Bell's beers use the same yeast? Did you guys suggest those particular beers for a reason for brewing Dead Ringer?

Does anyone have a short and sweet tutorial for harvesting from a six pack of bottles? I do have a stir plate and two liter flask, which I assume would be helpful in the process.

Yes, most of Bell's beers use their house yeast. Oberon and their amber ale are popular choices to harvest from because they're lower in ABV and hops, so the yeast won't be as stressed.

This is the basic idea for harvesting yeast:
http://bellshomebrew.tumblr.com/post/66974707212/how-to-culture-bells-house-yeast-from-a-bottle-of

Look at the date on the bottle and try to get the freshest beer you can. I like to use the entire six-pack whenever possible. I start with about 350ml of 1.020 wort for the first step and give it longer than you normally would for a starter on a stir plate. I go three days for this step. Then, I add the whole thing to a liter of 1.040 wort and ferment for 24 hours. Then I cold-crash and decant it and add it to a 1.5 or 2 liter 1.040 starter. After 24 hours, I take a pint of that and refrigerate it in a sanitized (and labeled) mason jar for future use. Then, cold crash the rest and, after decanting, pitch the remaining yeast.

You will want to use a neutral yeast. The three suggested yeasts fit the bill. I'll be using WY 1056, for the clone next week, just because I have two quart jars with harvested yeast in the frig.
I would suggest rehydrated US-05 to keep it sure and simple.

The three yeasts, US05 Wy1056 and WLP001 are essentially the same. They are all Chico strain IIRC. The differences would be minimal.

Latest posts

Back