Dead Ringer IPA yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkirk86

Reaction score
I purchased this kit, brewed it up, and it is now fermenting (week one). That was all before I had noticed it says that a yeast starter is recommended. I am fairly new to brewing, but have since then purchased a yeast kit. I used the dry yeast when brewing it. After it was in a dark cool place a day I checked on it and there was little to no activity. Being inexperienced with issues like this, I was wondering if any one else used the dry yeast on this kit had any issues.

What temp did you pitch, did you rehydrate the yeast and if so how warm was the water you used, and what temps are you fermenting at?

Dry yeast you don't make a starter for. You can re-hydrate (most people do) but it is not necessary. You will be fine if you just sprinkled the dry yeast on top of the beer.

It's best to rehydrate dry yeast. I'm assuming you used the US-05 but if you don't rehydrate, 2 packs would have been best.
It can take up to 3 days but if it's only been a day, I might be tempted to pitch another pack that's been rehydrated. I used 1 pack of the 05 and rehdyrated and got activity within 15 hours.

Boil some water, the let it cool to around 70, the put the dry yeast in there. Make sure you cool the water first!

I have rehydrated yeast by putting into water that is about 70 degrees or so. I usually at just a touch of sugar to the water first and then let the yeast sink into the water on it's own rather that stirring it up. The sugar will get the yeast going so that you know it is active. I also have tended to use distilled water for this. Some would boil water first and let it cool just to kill any potential bacteria. I use distilled instead to save time and work.

rdkirk86 said:
How do you rehydrate dry yeast?

Rehydrate yeast in small amount of clean sterile water at 80 to 90 degrees for ten or so min it will start to rise add cool clean water to adjust to desired pinching temp

Back