Dead ringer IPA do I need a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
I got the dead ringer IPA and the directions don't say anything about yeast starter. I got the safale dry yeast, do I need a starter? How many days prior to brew day?
Thanks,
Lorne

Personally I wouldn't with that yeast. Just hydrate the yeast about half hour before pitching and should be good. I use that yeast (assuming it's S05) frequently and never make a starter.

Dry yeast, (not past use by date), normally has sufficient viable yeast count to not require building a starter. This recipe has a fairly high OG, but I a single packet, properly rehydrated, will be fine.

According to Safale's web site, there's only 65 billion cells per packet. I'd use two just to be safe. Because even then you're under-pitching.

I'm starting to think under pitching is as big a myth as over pitching. One packet within Safale's use by date is a good pitch for five gallons.

I'm starting to think under pitching is as big a myth as over pitching. One packet within Safale's use by date is a good pitch for five gallons.

Well, neither are a myth. Underpitching will cause a lot more ester production due to the yeast being stressed. I have experienced this first hand.

Perhaps! But the last time I used US-05 on a beer I brew regularly, I tried it with two packets and was pleased with the results. I will admit, however, it could have been luck.

One pack of US-05 is pushing the limits for a 1.064 beer. I would play it safe and pitch two packs, rehydrated.
Best fermentation temperature for US-05 is 65° to 67°F. Below 65° a peach flavor can be produced. Peach flavor, in an IPA, may be masked by the hops.

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually doubling my batch to 10 gallons, but will put half in my carboy and the other half in my fermentation bucket. I won't be using a secondary and likely keep it in there for 4 weeks before bottling.

So I have 2 packets, but one for each. I will hydrate it, I hope this will work, maybe I'll try to swing by to buy two more packets from my homebrew store. Don't know if I'll be able to before I need to pitch the yeast.

Thanks, Lorne

I've brewed this twice with locally sourced ingredients. It was fantastic both times with one packet of us05 but I did consider pitching two.
Below 62 did get some peach on the first batch. It was somewhat hidden but not totally. Seemed to go away after two weeks in bottles though.
Next time I brew this I'm doing 10 gallons. It doesn't stay around long. Lol

Back