dead ringer high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb999

Reaction score
Brewed some dead ringer yesterday. My target OG was 1064 but I ended up at 1070 at 72 degrees. Why am I high and do I care? I followed direction 100 percent...well almost 100 %. When steeping my grains, I waited until water was 170 degrees and then steeped the bag for 20 minutes instead of placing bag in cold water and then bringing it up to 170. I kept the water temp at or just below 170 for all of the 20 minute steep. How bad a screw up was this? Did this cause the higher OG.

Thanks

Since you are posting in the beginners section, let me guess that this batch is extract with steeping grains and that you boiled with between 2 and 3 gallons of wort, then topped up. Correct? If so, your high OG is from getting some of the more concentrated wort when you took your sample or because you didn't add enough water.

Your measured OG is close enough to the expected amount that it won't make a lot of difference in the final beer flavor.

A few months ago I did a Northern Brewer "Dead Ringer" extract kit and had an OG of 1.070! And this was a full 5 gallon boil. Maybe they have a typo in their instructions? The only time I can think of that I didn't hit their OG "estimate".

And I'd steep in the 150's, supposedly 170 is pushing into tannin country.

If you topped off with water, then your OG difference could be one of two things:

1) You didn't top off with exactly enough water and ended up with slightly less than 5 gallons

2) The top off water and the boiled wort did not mix perfectly and you pulled a sample that was slightly more wort than top off water (more sugary than the total average)

In any event, 1.006 is significant, but not going to hugely effect your beer. You're good!

It'll be fine.....I lovvvved that beer! Will be in my summer rotation for sure!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I just brewed the same recipe about 2 months ago and mine came out a little high too. I just rolled with it and the beer turned out fantastic. I would not worry too much.

Back