Dead on Dead Guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Just tasted my Dead Guy Ale Clone from Brewcraft after two weeks in the bottle. At only two weeks it is dead on. The Brewcraft kit was made in conjunction with the brewmaster from Rogue. It is an extract with steeping grains, with 1/2 of the extract plus Belgian amber candy sugar at flameout. The recipe OG was 1.0655 and mine was 1.070 with a final of 1.012.
Extract ingredients were not listed in the kit, but from the Rogue website they are: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier, Munich, Carastan.
Yeast: of course Wyeast Pacman
Hops: Perle, Perle, and Saaz
Stats: per website 16 Plato, 78 AAU, 16 Lovibond, 40 IBU
Fermentation: 1 week primary at 61 degrees. Racked to secondary after consecutive stable gravities of 1.012. 2 weeks in secondary at 64 degrees. Bottling and storage temp of 68-70.

It is really tasty now. Just think in a couple of months.

Congrats, wish I had 5 gallons of dead guy in my house. It's awesome that John Maier takes the time to help homebrewers have access to such a kick-butt extract kit.

Looks like you're a little bit farther from Rogue than I am, but they have a pub in the middle of the brewery where you look out the windows at the goings-on. Last time I was there we saw a red light go off on the top of a big vessel and a guy came up for some additions with two buckets. One was labeled "hops" and the other said "more hops."

Still just a noob trying to correct my mistakes by comparing to others' successes, did you use a starter for the Pacman?

No starter for the Pacman Activator. Lag time was about 24 hours and a starter would have helped shorten the lag time, but it finished really fast after it got going. Krausen was completely gone in 4 days. Racked after 7.

Never used the Dead Guy kit but i have done the Brutal Bitter kit and that was AWESOME!! It is one of the best kits i have done, it tastes better than most AG's i've done.

Now if only i could find a Rogue Hazelnut Nectar kit.

This was my first successful homebrew...and by successful I mean my wife will drink it.

Congrats!

At one point, I even emailed John about fermentation temps and gravities. One of the assistant brewmasters mailed me back with words of encouragement. Rogue Rocks. Only wish I were closer to pick up a few growlers now and then. But then if things progress the way they are going, I'll have 5 gallons of the nectar. BTW, Florida doesn't allow selling of beer in growlers to take home. I tasted a great Scottish Ale at a local beer fest, and there's no way I can get it unless I make a 200 mile journey. Bummer. I emailed them for the recipe, but I don't think they wanted to part with it. This is making me thirsty. I have a couple of the two week old in the fridge. See ya!

Back