Yet Another Noob Brew Question - No Fermentation Activity, High Alcohol Smell.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
New member and brewer here, got a few questions that probably cannot be answered based on the amount of info that I have, but I will try anyhow.

I brewed my first batch a month or two ago: https://www.homebrewsupply.com/hopfellas-ipa-single-hop-partial-extract-recipe-kit.html

It came out ok- flavor, color, and alcohol were great, carbonation was low. It was not super enjoyable to drink, but it was drinkable, and what I call a first brew success.

I decided to move on to : https://www.midwestsupplies.com/hop-cult-ipa-extract-beer-kit (Recipie: https://www.midwestsupplies.com/dow...uct/7689/hop_cult_ipa_recipe_instructions.pdf). This time I made sure to take care in all the areas in which I messed up on the first brew. My timings were perfect, I aerated more, I used live yeast instead of dry stuff.

But this time I decided to ferment it in my plastic 6-gallon bucket, then transfer to the glass carboy for secondary fermentation. After 4-5 days in the bucket with a constant temperature of 68 degrees, the airlock was dead. I read posts about a leaky bucket seal, etc.

After 9 days I decided to check and opened it up. There was a thick (1.5 inches thick) ring of krousen roughly 4 inches above the beer line, and the beer was as smooth as glass- no bubbles. It smelled like alcohol to me- sticky, and sweet. I measured the gravity at 1.012.

Since there was no activity, I freaked out and pitched another packet of yeast- this time a dry spare I had on hand. I shook and agitated it again, and then sealed up the glass carboy. At this time I noticed I had less than 4 gallons of beer, instead of my original 5 gallons.

The airlocked bubbled backwards for a bit, suckback. After a night that stopped. There is positive pressure on the airlock now, but no bubbles. If I shake it, I get bubbles. The beer still has no activity, nothing.

No mold, nothing discolored. Maybe a slightly oily sheen on top of the beer. If you look closely you can see yeast structure, like a faint honeycomb.

There was 1-2 inches of sediment on the bottom of the primary fermenter which got left behind when I moved to secondary fermenter..

This was 3 days ago, what do I do? Do I stay the course and give it another 1-2 weeks on the carboy with no activity? Do I take it out and check gravity again?

The Midwest guide says that it is done with primary fermentation when gravity is 1.012 or lower. When I first read my hydrometer I read it wrong- it was one hash mark under 10, which is underneath the 1.000. So based on this, my gravity is right on the money, I think. I originally read it as 1.1X and when I smelled the alcohol smell I thought maybe a barleywine was on the way.

So why did you freak out with a gravity of 1.012? That is perfect for this recipe, and very good attenuation for an extract kit.
Fermentation only takes 2-4 days with a low gravity brew, I am guessing your OG was under 1.06.
Everything that you did past this point are beginner mistakes.

The extra yeast added was wasted.

Agitating is a huge mistake, never agitate while hot and never agitate after pitching yeast. Agitating introduces oxygen to the beer, oxygen is needed for yeast to multiply and dominate the landscape, however they will not produce alcohol in a oxygen rich environment. Oxygen will also make your beer taste stale, like cardboard. Image your beer tasting like stale cereal or stale corn chips. You agitate after the cooling stage and prior to introduction of yeast only!

The bubbling is CO2 escaping from solution due to the shaking. The oil sheen is likely hop oils that didn't fully emulsify, this is a likely a non-issue.

Why did you move it to a secondary? Secondaries are useful for adding additional flavoring or dry hopping but other than that they are a place where the beer can pick up additional unwanted oxygen and bugs during the transfer.

On the missing gallon of beer, not sure if you lost it to trub or evaporation during the boil. Volume calculations come with experience with your current system, take good notes so you can account for this next time.

At this point the damage is done, you have to hope that the remaining yeast in the secondary scrubs out the oxygen. I would give it about a week, then bottle as usual.

Sorry, this is sort of a duplicate post held in moderation for 2 days!

I moved to secondary because recipe kit instructed this beginner to- after reading around, I realize that I could have skipped this, even if I plan to dry hop, which I do.

Thanks for the notes, hope my beer doesn't taste bad!

So why did you freak out with a gravity of 1.012?

Slightly embarrassing, but I had had a couple of drinks already, and I read the hydrometer as 1.12 and thought it had a long way to go to come down. Also thought my beer was going to be a barleywine. Turns out, I just didn't read it right, because I rechecked it a day later and it was right at 1.012.

I have started to take notes, instead of winging it, which should help.

Airlock activity will usually stop or really slow down after initial fermentation, which as mentioned may only be a couple days. Lack of activity is nothing to worry about, especially if your readings are good.

The reason to leave it sit after fermentation is to give the yeast a chance to clean things up and allow things to settle out to clear up the beer. Patience is the key.

Agitating is a huge mistake, never agitate while hot and never agitate after pitching yeast. Agitating introduces oxygen to the beer,

A

Just so I'm clear, it's ok to agitate immediately after pitching before you put the beer away to ferment yes? Or am I misinformed?

Just so I'm clear, it's ok to agitate immediately after pitching before you put the beer away to ferment yes? Or am I misinformed?

Yeasts need oxygen to reproduce so you need to add that since your boil drove out nearly all of it. Whether this is done before the yeast is added or just after makes little difference. Once the yeast begin fermenting you want to limit the exposure to oxygen.

These are just noob mistakes. Just take lots of notes.

Well with the krausen ring it definitely showed that you had fermentation and the fact that your final gravity was 1.012 pretty much stated by the recipe that it was done. It showed that your original gravity should have been 1.064 and a final gravity at 1.016. If you reached your original gravity it will have some booze to it at 6.83% for an IPA, but it should still be fine. Let it sit for another week or two to clean up the extra yeast that you pitch, then get ready to bottle or keg.

And remember the saying RDWHAHB....

Back