Dead Guy Lager Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
my cellar is at a cool 48-50 degrees now - so I thought about a nice lager, but what kind?
I love dead guy ale so why not a dead guy lager. What might be a close recipe using a CA Steam yeast lagered at 50 for a few weeks? 5# LME + A pile of german pilsner malt, a 1/2# aromatic malt and judicous hallertauer hops?

HIT ME!:ban:

I'm pretty sure there have been one or two ead guy clone recipes posted on this forum.

NEPABREWER said:
my cellar is at a cool 48-50 degrees now - so I thought about a nice lager, but what kind?
I love dead guy ale so why not a dead guy lager. What might be a close recipe using a CA Steam yeast lagered at 50 for a few weeks? 5# LME + A pile of german pilsner malt, a 1/2# aromatic malt and judicous hallertauer hops?

HIT ME!:ban:

NEPABREWER, do you goto that Beer Solutions place in Wilkes Barre? I went there this past Friday, and I probably wont ever go back. I think the grains I got were old, and werent crushed well at all. Also, when I got home and weighed the DME that he had to bag there because there were no 3 lb bags left, it was about 1/2 lb light. I was tempted to call but said screw it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15399

There is a thread to a Dead Guy Ale recipe that I saved a little while ago. Its definatley on my list of things I want to brew eventually.

As far as my supplies I am going to stick with the Grape and Granery, and I think Im going to try Keystone Homebrew Supply too. They can get me stuff in 1 day.

By the way if you look at that recipe, I question the PM version. I dont think that 2lbs of 2-row can compensate for 2 1/4 lbs of DME.

Dead Guy is a maibock brewed with ale yeast, so lagering it with an Oktoberfest or bock yeast would probably be a great thing!

The Floor Kill Ale recipe in my signature turned out very tasty...it's my version of Dead Guy.

JohnnyK68 said:
NEPABREWER, do you goto that Beer Solutions place in Wilkes Barre? I went there this past Friday, and I probably wont ever go back. I think the grains I got were old, and werent crushed well at all. Also, when I got home and weighed the DME that he had to bag there because there were no 3 lb bags left, it was about 1/2 lb light. I was tempted to call but said screw it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15399

There is a thread to a Dead Guy Ale recipe that I saved a little while ago. Its definatley on my list of things I want to brew eventually.

As far as my supplies I am going to stick with the Grape and Granery, and I think Im going to try Keystone Homebrew Supply too. They can get me stuff in 1 day.

By the way if you look at that recipe, I question the PM version. I dont think that 2lbs of 2-row can compensate for 2 1/4 lbs of DME.

Hi Johnny

I do shop there, but only for corny kegs and the odd instrument, hose, fitting. The ingredients never fit my bill - Keystone HB is fanyastic huge selection of hops, extract, and grain as well as all the tools and toys. Bethlehem is a bit of a ride, but if your stocking up for a month or so its nice. There is also a nice looking (I was working so couldn't taste) brew pub in the same building as Keystone, might be worth looking at.

Back