Dead guy ale with lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawson

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this or any thoughts on the results. I plan to use the grain bill from a dead guy clone and using a lager yeast ( any thoughts on which yeast would be great) and fermenting it lager style.

Has anyone tried this or any thoughts on the results. I plan to use the grain bill from a dead guy clone and using a lager yeast ( any thoughts on which yeast would be great) and fermenting it lager style.

Rogue obviously uses pacman, but ferments very cold for DGA, so it's super clean anyways. I would just use whatever your favorite lager yeast is. For liquid 830 would be good, for dry I would go with S189. IMO S189 is great for bock styles

That is a good answer for me. Just wanted to see if anyone said it was a bad idea. Thanks.

i brewed the all grain kit from austin homebrew with nottingham yeast because they didn't have any pacman. I can't tell a difference. if you're not going to actually lager it, and just pitch lager yeast, i don't think there will be much difference either.

using lager yeast and lagering (cold storage) will not affect the flavor of the beer, pacman is very neutral so there is little flavor profile from that yeast, lagering will likely give you crisper mouthfeel but should taste very similar

Dead guy is an ale version of a Maibock which is a lager

brew away

I brewed a miller lite clone as a compromise with SWMBO, only I made it an ale.

Quite tasty to both of us, nothing like a lite american lager.

Dead Guy is an aberration. Maibocs are traditionally lagers. Rogue calls it a "Maiboc Style ale" and as others have said ferments it with pac man cold. But I've done my DGA clone both ways and they've both been excellent.

Rogue obviously uses pacman, but ferments very cold for DGA, so it's super clean anyways. ...

Where did you get this info, was it from the brewery or another source? Unless things have changed since I worked there, this isn't accurate. Dead Guy (which was also marketed as Maier Bock, Wolf Eel Ale and some other names) was treated exactly as every other ale we made.

Taking a flavorful ale and lagering it?

Yeah, BAD idea. Unless you are allergic to flavor.

You OBVIOUSLY haven't tried many of the various types of lagers out there, have you? Seems to be you're equating ALL lagers with light american lagers. There's a HUGE range of lagers most of them more flavorful than the bud light you're lumping them in with.

Have you tried any true Maibocks? Vienna or Amber Lagers? Dortmunder Export ? Munich Dunkel? Doppelbock ? Eisbock ?

If you call any of those lagers flavorless, then you've been eating too many ghost chili peppers, and you probably have NO tastebuds left.

A clean lager yeast and a clean ale yeast are pretty much the same, NEITHER contribute to the flavor of the beer, and let the malts shine through.

Sounds like you're throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The lagers I have made were "clean and crisp" or whatever, but were far less flavorful than the same ingredients brewed as an ale.

Maybe not a "clean" ale yeast. I may need to research that.

I have just found that long cold storage, even with ales, reduces flavor.

But you didn't answer my question, have you tasted any of the lager styles I mentioned? I've seen other comments by you about flavorless lagers. So that's what leads me to believe you've never had any of the above lager styles that are anything but flavorless.

I used to think the same thing myslef, lump all lagers with bmc. BUT I tried a vienna lager and was blown away by the flavor, then tried bocks and others and realized I had been missing out on a LOT of great beers that I had ignored for 20 years because they were "lagers," and I was prejudiced against lagers.

I have tried bocks and Marzen lagers that I liked. I just assumed that you need more crystal, more black patent, more whatever to get the same amount of flavor.

I have tried bocks and Marzen lagers that I liked. I just assumed that you need more crystal, more black patent, more whatever to get the same amount of flavor.

When brewing lagers, I use as LITTLE of those grains as possible. My Oktoberfest is 100% Munich, Pilsners/Helles 100% pale 2row or Pilsner malt, Munich Dunkel 100% Munich for the fermentables with a splash of chocolate for a little more color and a bit of roastiness... Then, of course, a good Pilsner is going to have a good deal of hop character.

Well made lagers are an exercise in subtlety, but subtlety is by no means a lack of flavor.

When brewing lagers, I use as LITTLE of those grains as possible. My Oktoberfest is 100% Munich, Pilsners/Helles 100% pale 2row or Pilsner malt, Munich Dunkel 100% Munich for the fermentables with a splash of chocolate for a little more color and a bit of roastiness... Then, of course, a good Pilsner is going to have a good deal of hop character.

Well made lagers are an exercise in subtlety, but subtlety is by no means a lack of flavor.

I recently bought leinenkugel's winter sampler........(on sale)

A fairly rich dark creamy.....Lager.

A nut brown......lager

some other lager

and a wheat beer.

All fairly poor choices for a winter warmer, and certainly some black patent etc. in use in a lager.

I will open my eyes! What is the vienna lager recipe?

Fantastic talk guys I appreciate the info. I am going to go ahead with the dead guy lager then.

What I want to do is a maibock and saw that ahb had the clone for dead guy. But since It was an ale and maibock is a lager I thought I would just switch the yeasts and lager ferment it.

Where did you get this info, was it from the brewery or another source? Unless things have changed since I worked there, this isn't accurate. Dead Guy (which was also marketed as Maier Bock, Wolf Eel Ale and some other names) was treated exactly as every other ale we made.

John Maier told me it's fermented at 60 degrees, with pacman yeast. Maybe he's mistaken and you're correct?

wailingguitar said:
Yeah, that's what I remember. I guess the confusion is over what constitutes 'very cold'

Yup, sorry I should have been more clear

Back