Dead Guy Ale Ok OK Im hooked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Alright I agree that this is an amazing product - so, how do I make it if I am an extract brewer and purchase some pacman yeast? extract + grain recipe please

From Beer Captured've done this and it came out great.

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)
1 oz [email protected] AA for 60 min

1/4 oz Perle
1/4 oz Czech Saaaz for 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss

if you can't get Pacman then they substitute
Wyeast 1338 or 1056
I used White Labs 008 East Coast Ale

Good Luck witrh it, I've had my name on the list for Pacman at my LHBS but it doesn't look like he's getting any.

Don't know.... the thought of "The Bible's" cock ale comes to mind, hence I don't think I want to know too much about the special ingrediants of this recipe :D

rcd said:
if you use that recipe, you'll have to do a partial mash to use the Munich malt...

Not according to the book. The mini mash recipe called for 2 lbs 2 row Pale Malt in addition to these grains. I did it by steeping and it came out fine.

Ah ha - My LHBS advertised the Pacman strain so I may get some (local is 50-75 miles)
I am currently the proud renter of a 1/2 keg and I must say it gets better with every glass. I actually look forward to that glass at the end of the day. On a side note, my wife dislikes its strong flavors and ill effects caused by the abv. (we got wicked one night) As far as partial mashes are concerned - I am not an expert, but I think I have been able to make alch. out of 2 row before just by holding it at 150 or so for an hour + and ladle sparging it. So I would be willing to give this a whirl. I just can't justify the cost of going all grain just yet (new kettle, burner, wort chiller +mash tun, sparge tank etc) I really want to, but I've done some $ research and I would have to brew LOTS of 5 gal batches before the cost evened out.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Not according to the book. The mini mash recipe called for 2 lbs 2 row Pale Malt in addition to these grains. I did it by steeping and it came out fine.

Yup, should be fine. You still get the flavor and color of the Munich with a simple steep.

As for the commercial beer itself: I had it on draught for the first time about a year ago and thought it was lousy. LOTS of diacetyl in that beer that gave it a VERY buttery taste... it was too much for me and I drank only half the pint.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried it again several months later, hoping I was just in the wrong state of mind the first time or had a bad batch. Same experience, except that I sent it back and got different beer that time. (Side note: I got a very weird look when the waiter asked it there was something wrong with it and I told him the truth; "It has too much diacetyl." He offered to get me another pint of it.)

You all make it sound so great, I think I'll have to make it a priority to try now...

On a side note:

When I was living in CA, I saw some DG and thought it was a novelty brew(still not convinced) because of the cheesey label and didn't try it thus. There needs to be some accountability in this industry. It begins NOW!!!

Okay whatever deadbeats, it's our game now...

...play it as you please.

:)

I actually spent a week in Newport a couple months ago and went to rogue every night. They really do have some amazing beers. I am planning on brewing some dead guy quite soon. For all of you that are turned off by the label, don't be! It's my all time favorite.

Dead Guy is definitely an acquired taste. I bought a 6'er last weekend and I couldn't finish it fast enough.......not becuase it was good, though. I couldn't get used to the way it finished. The taste on the front end was good, I'll admit that. However, the finish was not my cup of tea. It was one of those things where I kept telling myself I couldn't get more Arrogant Bastard until I finished all the Dead Guy.

Everyone's tastes are different. I like Dead Guy a lot more than Arrogant Bastard. I must say, though, I've never see sixers of Dead Guy. I've only ever seen it in 22 oz bottles, which is how I buy it.

The place I got Dead Guy from only had six packs of 12 oz bottles. They didn't have sixers of Arrogant Bastard, only the big bottles.

I think I'm going to redo this beer. I just got the last pack of Pacman they had at my LBHS. I did it the first time with WL008 East Coast Ale. Came out good as I said but I'd like to try the real thing.

Back