DC Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As buy #5 has filled up, I am starting this thread to record your requests for the next group buy. Please feel free to request anything from the price list. If you do not have the list and want it, please let me know and I will PM you a link to download the latest prices. Again, we only have a limited selection, so if you want something not on the list let me know and I will try to get it added to the list. Cheers!

A quick overview of things to remember:

* Prices include all taxes and shipping - they are out the door prices.
* To get the list, PM me and I will send you a link.
* If you post you want something, and you have never ordered before, PM me your email address.
* Be prepared to pickup on the Saturday after the grain arrives. Get someone lined up to pick up for you if you cannot make it.
* Splits are okay, but understand how they work. If you start one, you pay me for the sack and collect from the others.
* Paypal is the best way to do this, so please consider it!
* If you are splitting something, bring bags or buckets to take your grain. Don't assume there will be some available for you, because there probably won't be.

Where is the pickup location and how long does the buy typically take? Assuming the 40 sacks are sold relatively quickly?

Although I may not participate in buying this time, I volunteer for coordinating the splits.

Just post a message in this thread for the splits you want to start out or how many pounds you want of existing splits.

If you initiate a split, you'll become the primary buyer, and the whole sack will be billed to you by stonebrewer. You in turn will collect the monies from the other participants in your splits. Just as the last time, I have a spreadsheet setup for the overview, calculations and at closing, the individual amounts due.

Where is the pickup location and how long does the buy typically take? Assuming the 40 sacks are sold relatively quickly?

Pickup is in Rockville, MD, usually on a Saturday. Stonebrewer coordinates the group buy, I keep track of the splits if there are any.

It can take a few weeks to a few months, until we reach our 40 sack quota. The last 2 buys filled up pretty fast.

Hi, Thanks all for managing this, esp Stonebrewer. I sent a PM last week but I haven't heard back. Is there some way to get the price list? Thanks

PM sent to all in my queue. If I missed ya, send me another email here and I will send out the list. Life is kinda hectic these days so I have had little time for beer. Boooo!!

Cheers!

image-1629270619.jpg Damn this is good
Sorry wrong thread

This buy is officially closed. There will be no further group grain buys through our current source. Will post more details when and if I get them.

I'm good friends with Mike at 3 Stars (assuming it's the correct Mike) so i can get the ball rolling as long as someone else can take the reins. Let me know.

I'm good friends with Mike at 3 Stars (assuming it's the correct Mike) so i can get the ball rolling as long as someone else can take the reins. Let me know.

someone want to make an intro? If so, I am game to see what we can get going with them. Hopefully he will be more, ahem, responsive to our cause!

Just had a Conflux #1 (Collage) at Real in Honolulu. Whoa! Nice beer. They had Utopias at $25 for a 2 ounce pour. What!?! Can't wait to get home and crack open some of the goodies there! Tired of the road and ready to get my brew on!! Think I will do a PtE clone again as that **** is the real deal, word!!

Stephin: will be home this weekend. You and sweetcell want to try to get together Sunday? If not, after the holiday? Let me know...

Cheers all!
T

I'll email Mike and see what the deal is. He works pretty much every Saturday at the 3 Stars homebrew shop if you want to meet him at some point. I'll report back when i hear from him.

Let's hope another vendor is found... I wanted to watch a group buy go down before I jumped in on one... Maybe that was a bad choice if that was the last :/

Signed,
Grainless in Damascus

I have corresponded with Mike a couple of times. I am waiting on a price list at this point. Some changes would have to happen if this is the way we end up going. First, he is going to want half the money up front, which should not be a problem. Second, we would either have to do the pickup at the brewery, or at least have one or more people pick it all up at the same time. The brewery is just inside the DC line near Takoma Park and about 6 blocks from the Takoma Metro station. Suggest we make sure we buy some of their beer while we are doing this to better keep them happy. Stay tuned for more details, as I get them I will post here.

I am in for the price list if this new source gets off the ground. Thanks again for all the work to make these possible.

random reply, so i can be sub'ed to the thread (also, i'm too lazy to use the "subscribe" button in the "thread tools" menu, above). hope you had a great turkey day, tony!

Stephin: will be home this weekend. You and sweetcell want to try to get together Sunday? If not, after the holiday? Let me know...
sorry i missed this post. let's get together soon after this holiday madness, before the next holiday madness :mug: i've got some stuff you need to try...

I got the price list last night. Good news is that there are quite a few more varieties available for us to choose from. Bad news is the cost per sack has gone up a bit, $5-$10 a sack from the ones I checked on. I've asked him to rethink the pricing, but don't expect him to change prices, but who knows? Shipping was about $1-$2 more per sack than we paid, plus there is some markup (10%?) per sack. Still cheaper than you can get at the LHBS, so I guess this is worth proceeding with if people are interested.

I think we are going to change how we do this as well. I may just put a spreadsheet on Google Docs and allow everyone access to it who emails me for the password and location. All splits will be handled by you guys, and you can manage that however you like, I just don't want to have to deal with splits as they make what is already a difficult process harder. Maybe later we will manage them through the spreadsheet, but to start I don't want to deal with them. I would like to see the orders happen on a schedule, maybe monthly or every other month. That way you know the schedule and can plan accordingly. You must use PayPal and pay up front. I have never had an issue with anyone paying, but this just makes it easier on everyone. The pickup will always be on a Saturday morning at 10AM at the brewery. You must be there or have arranged for someone to pickup your grain for you and let me know about it. If you can't do that, then please wait and order when you can make it. I will still haul grain out to the couple of folks who live near my mom's house, as long as that stays manageable. They have asked that I keep the price list private, for the group's eyes only. Please do not violate their trust when you get access to the price list. They have a HBS that will be open when we arrive, so please help them out for helping us out. Grab some yeast or hops, or something from time to time to show your love. They did not have DME on the list, so I will ask about that. I will work on getting the spreadsheet up once they answer my email...should be up by next weekend. I will probably shoot for the end of Jan. as the first buy and go from there. Questions or comments?

Will growler fills be available at that time? :) Or do we have to wait until 1pm? That would be nice and give them more business from us. Thanks for following up with Mike and pulling this together, Tony.
I agree with your statement about visiting and buying, we also need to make this worthwhile to them. The other one failed because there was no incentive, we weren't shopping there and he wasn't making money!
[Edit: Sorry I gave the wrong credit. Thanks Tony!!]

Will growler fills be available at that time? :) Or do we have to wait until 1pm? That would be nice and give them more business from us. Thanks for following up with Mike and pulling this together, Stephen.
I agree with your statement about visiting and buying, we also need to make this worthwhile to them. The other one failed because there was no incentive, we weren't shopping there and he wasn't making money!

I asked that question and he did not answer it...so I would say no for now, but once we get going, maybe they will be willing to sell us beer too. We'll have to wait and see on that.

OK got the DME added...it is actually cheaper than what we were paying before, by about $5. Will try to get something up in the next couple of nights, if work will allow. Stay tuned.

I missed the last round or two on these buys. Sorry to hear about the issues but glad there's a new plan in the works. Please send me the price list link/location when it's sorted. Thanks for all your hard work on this Stonebrewer!

Just sent you a PM requesting the price list.

What is our minimum order qty here?

I would like to get the list too. :)

Hope to have it up this weekend...been really busy and just did 700 miles in two days, so I am glad to be off the road!! If you want the list, you need to PM me with an email address. I will give you my email address and a link to the price list once I get it online. The list will likely be setup so you can edit it online and add what you want. I am aiming for a January buy at this point as the holidays are upon us and I don't want to deal with it too much at this point. I am still working things out with our new supplier as well. Cheers all!

Back