DC Group Buy #17

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in old town gaithersburg. I should be able to pick up for you.

I was asking stonebrewer to pick up for me, but if you can do it I would prefer that. You are closer and it would be an easy pickup. Either way it works out, ya'll will let me know.

Thanks! :mug:

Aloha everyone!

Just got back from Honolulu...minutes ago. Checking in w/ 3 Stars, we have a few issues to work through. The floor malted Bopils did not come in and the buyer could not contact me as I was in the air, so he made the command decision to go with non- floor malted. I hope that is okay! Several items did not make the first delivery:

PBW
Golden Naked Oats
Bopils

Hope they come in this week. Will get everyone updated once my head stops spinning!

Printing off the sheets for tomorrow. I THINK everything is in, with a couple of substitutions. The guy I am dealing with will NOT be there tomorrow so hopefully things go well. See you folks tomorrow!

T

The splits page on the spreadsheet is blank for me and several others. Maybe a glitch? I'll check again in the morning.

I'll bring my digital scale for weighing stuff and a few bags from KrimKram for splits.

I'm also bringing a scale, weighing bucket, table, "scoop," and a bunch of plastic (shopping) bags.

I expect to be there between 9:45 and 10:00.

First off, a HUGE THANKS to the few folks who showed up early and helped with moving the sacks and the splits!! Really cannot do this without the dedicated folks that help like BrewSavage, IslandLizard, Royski, wgoose1, Jeanne, jamisonia, and warehouse (I think?). Shout out to BigBeavK for the buckets and the shaker!! Even though he has not participated in a while, he is still kind enough to send us buckets!!

Mike: We missed you AND your labels! Thanks to Roy, we improvised though and made do!!

Now for the not so good - people have got to start showing up WITH A LIST and taking your stuff. I had a truck filled to the brim with malt today and now have a garage filled with it. Several people who came and picked up their full sacks, left their splits!! Please know what you ordered and make sure you get it. I still have splits from people from over a year ago in my basement that I don't want...so please do me a favor, show up on time, show up with a list, and DON'T SHOW UP EMPTY HANDED!! All we ask is that you bring some plastic bags with you or a scale or a beer or whatever. I am running low on bags and I may have to curtail splits if people don't help with this little stuff!! I need someone to make labels as well, so if you can please help a little in some way, shape or fashion. Don't assume that the small subset of folks that have always done it will always do it...Finally, please try REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD to find someone to pick up your grain! I really don't mind a sack or two, but my truck was completely loaded this time. Get your spouse, a friend, your parent, your kid, a neighbor, or someone who drinks your homebrew to come pick up for you. Sorry for the b!tchfest but I am still jet lagged and a bit irritated with how folks are not pitching in and leaving it to the handful of regulars. If Keith stops sending buckets or we run out of bags, splits will have to stop. Everyone likely has bags laying around the house...please bring them in.

Thanks again to everyone that helps out, brings beer to share, bring scales/scoops/tables, brings buckets/bags! You are the folks that make this group experience special!!

For those who did not get the Avangard Wheat Malt today, I have sent you a refund via PayPal. Please let me know if you did not get it. Thanks!

@b000111 - You have a credit in my PayPal for the BoPils that did not show up. I also emailed our buyer at 3 Stars to let him know it did not show up. He might order it this week and have it at the shop whenever you want to pick it up...

Sorry guys!!! I have been away from Homebrewtalk for a while. Got a new phone so app didn't migrate for some reason.

Also been so wrapped up with getting my brewery going (its a lot of eork, trust me) so I haven't had a chance to log in/check things out.

Out of sight does in fact equal out of mind sometimes... sorry about that.

I hope to make the next one even if it's just to be there for support/labels/tasting the awesome work you all do!

Tony my bad on the labels if I would have known that this was closing or did close I would have at least gotten those prepared for and sent them along with somebody else.

Mike: no problem bro! I did go into a bit of a panic, but luckily Roy came prepared with a marker and tape! When's your brewery opening?

Opening April or May. Locking in location now. Gonna be downtown Frederick in a 2400 Sq ft spot. 3.5 or 5 BBL brewhouse with 5 or 6 fermenters and some brites.

Anyone interested should check out our Indiegogo crowdfund campaign. We're giving away some pretty cool stuff.

https://igg.me/at/idiombrewing

-Mike

For those who did not get the Avangard Wheat Malt today, I have sent you a refund via PayPal. Please let me know if you did not get it. Thanks!

@b000111 - You have a credit in my PayPal for the BoPils that did not show up. I also emailed our buyer at 3 Stars to let him know it did not show up. He might order it this week and have it at the shop whenever you want to pick it up...

No worries about ordering another asap, I can wait till next group buy. Thank you as always for organizing this!

Thank you @stonebrewer for another awesome group buy!

Also thanks to everyone who helped out sorting, splitting, distributing, brought scales, supplies, and beer!

@Bigbeavk is always our hero for supplying those awesome buckets!

And a big thanks to @BrewSavage for picking them up and bringing them to our splits party.

In that light, maybe the more elusive or short stocked grains can be ordered an extra few weeks (or even longer) in advance? That is, if 3-Stars doesn't mind pulling them aside and holding onto them.

Don't we all want some floor malted Bohemian Pils too at some point.

Last edited:

Many thanks for the fast refund! Put some of the new grains to use right away and brewed a German Pils yesterday!

cheers and happy brewing everyone!

Now for the not so good - people have got to start showing up WITH A LIST and taking your stuff. I had a truck filled to the brim with malt today and now have a garage filled with it. Several people who came and picked up their full sacks, left their splits!! Please know what you ordered and make sure you get it. I still have splits from people from over a year ago in my basement that I don't want...so please do me a favor, show up on time, show up with a list, and DON'T SHOW UP EMPTY HANDED!! All we ask is that you bring some plastic bags with you or a scale or a beer or whatever. I am running low on bags and I may have to curtail splits if people don't help with this little stuff!! I need someone to make labels as well, so if you can please help a little in some way, shape or fashion. Don't assume that the small subset of folks that have always done it will always do it...Finally, please try REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD to find someone to pick up your grain! I really don't mind a sack or two, but my truck was completely loaded this time. Get your spouse, a friend, your parent, your kid, a neighbor, or someone who drinks your homebrew to come pick up for you. Sorry for the b!tchfest but I am still jet lagged and a bit irritated with how folks are not pitching in and leaving it to the handful of regulars. If Keith stops sending buckets or we run out of bags, splits will have to stop. Everyone likely has bags laying around the house...please bring them in.

Sorry for coming empty handed this time. I definitely didn't plan ahead as I should have. I very much appreciate having this group buy available and the splits are a nice option for getting some of the specialty items. I will do my best at planning ahead next time and bring things to help out more. Many thanks Stonebrewer for all the work you put into this! I would be willing to do other tasks to help if you need it, just let me know.

@b000111 - They already ordered it, so if you want it let me know and when it comes in I will contact you. If not, I am sure someone will need a sack of bopils in the very near future!

@Jeanne - no worries; not everyone needs to do/bring something every time and I know you have in the past. Just a little frustrating when I am the only one bringing bags and am panicking we will run out and folks will not be able to get their grain...plus I am still a bit jet lagged which makes me a grouchy bear! :D:D

@IslandLizard - I don't think there is a good answer to when to order. Sometime we get a grain like the Kolsch maltz that was ordered this time first week, sometimes we don't get it with three weeks. I think with most grains, two weeks is the sweet spot. Additionally, 3 Stars was having issues with the old distributer and now are using a new one (plus the old one in a pinch). Things have gotten a bit better...

Latest posts

Back