DC gear motor for barley crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nag7

Reaction score
I want to motorize a barley crusher using a direct coupler with spider and a gear motor. i've been looking around and i've found this one that should work it has:
43 in-lb torque
167 rpm
1/8 HP
90 VDC
1.5 amps

I was also looking at a DC speed controller I think this one should work and if i read it correctly I believe it is 120 VAC in and it will convert it to 90 VAC for the motor.

Any help or suggestions or if I got something wrong or overlooked something is appreciated.

That might be a bit underpowered. I have read posts here recommending a minimum of 60 in-lbs. You might get by if it is slow fed. Filling the hopper and then attempting to start may result in a jam.

I've seen some other's that have used motors 35-40 in-lb and didn't have any problems starting with grain. I know the barley crusher mill has shorter and smaller diameter rollers so it shouldn't need as much torque as some of the longer ones. I also figured worst case i'd start the motor and then pour the grain into the hopper once the motor has started up.

My set up with a JSP Malt Mill

image-2618555916.jpg
Dart control

image-3559625381.jpg
Lower then I wanted on the rpm but couldn't pass on the torque

image-364657896.jpg
Check out turbo1989 seller on e-bay its 220 rpm no torque listed

Back