DC Area Group Grain Buy #27

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclardass

Reaction score
Had some inquiries as to whether the buy was still happening and I'd say.. sort of. Our sponsor, 3 Stars, has obviously had other business to attend to during the pandemic but there's hope we'll have at least one or two buys in 2022. I'm in discussions with the brewery and have maintained the group buy website (now I just need to remember the database password) so we should be ready for #27 in the new year. The available products may be paired down, unsure at this point, but I'll update this thread once things become clearer.
Sláinte!

Yeah, I share that interest; in the meantime, a plug for Maryland homebrew— email Kris for an aha price list. They’re very competitive.

Are you guys on the FB DC Homebrewers group b/c there’s a guy who is putting together a buy from Murphy & Rude Malting in Charlottesville VA — looks like $55 sacks of base malts. Never used them before but for the price I’m interested in checking it out.

Anyhow:

Are you guys on the FB DC Homebrewers group b/c there’s a guy who is putting together a buy from Murphy & Rude Malting in Charlottesville VA — looks like $55 sacks of base malts. Never used them before but for the price I’m interested in checking it out.

Anyhow:

Last year a friend made a trip to the malthouse and picked up some sacks that I split with a few people. I got 10# of the Pale, English Pale Ale, and Pilsner malts. I still have not used the English, but the others made nice beers. There is also a store out in Charlottesville selling Murphy & Rude malts by the lb. I got a bunch of different ones that I am still working through:
https://fifthseasongardening.com/homebrew
I am not sure that the malts from Murphy & Rude are much better (or worse) than the large scale commercial maltsters, but it is really cool using a local maltsters product with grains grown in the mid-Atlantic area. They do have a few unusual malts that I am excited to try. $55 bags are a great price, as I recall them selling for more, even before recent price hikes.

I cannot see the Facebook link, probably because I am not a member of that group.

Well, never got the chance to restart the group buy and never will at 3 Stars again.. Anyone interested in doing the leg work to find a new buying partner? Think I'm finally admitting defeat and will let the website die. My homebrew club brewery doesn't have a deep catalog and minimal price breaks (plus, not centrally located for convenience). Well, it's been fun everyone.. thanks for the memories

Hey all,
I haven't bought grain from this buy since before covid started but would be interested in getting into it again. i realize 3 stars just closed, but was wondering how far you guys would be willing to travel for grain. I know a couple breweries in Rockville that may be willing to help us, or possibly columbia, but its not in DC. thoughts?

I’m near DT Silver Spring and feel like Columbia and Rockville are totally within bounds. A bunch of DC Homebrewers (club members) including myself went in on a Murphy & Rude grain buy which was a pretty good deal and I drove some sacks around town to help distribute. That said, I’d be down to do something like that again (do some area drops) to help make the distance work for our DC/VA friends.

Full disclosure— I’m still pretty rich in grain so I might need a minute to use some up though.

ok thanks RO, i will continue my search....this will take some time, so go ahead and use up some grain a while ;)

I’m very interested in this, and being in Germantown, Columbia and Rockville are no problem for me.

I’ve been thinking of getting some sacks of grain in the not to distant future so I’ll keep my eye on the thread.

I just ran out of my stash and could definitely use a reup. As I live in Gaithersburg I'd love something in Rockville or silver spring

I'm up in Ellicott City, so somewhat "central" to most of what I see posted. Though I have zero problem driving to pickup, or deliver.

While I have a ton of grain still, it is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I'd like fresher stuff to make some beers for the upcoming comp season, and for next year's win at the Con. ;)

Yeah, I share that interest; in the meantime, a plug for Maryland homebrew— email Kris for an aha price list. They’re very competitive.

Damn, sorry to be firing off in rapid succession...what are the prices like? I don't see any bags listed. Seems the average, without any discount, is about 58 (2 row, nothing special) a bag, at other places. I don't feel that is a good price, but it has been years since I bought in this much bulk. I'm used to paying under a buck a pound, like it should be.

Damn, sorry to be firing off in rapid succession...what are the prices like? I don't see any bags listed. Seems the average, without any discount, is about 58 (2 row, nothing special) a bag, at other places. I don't feel that is a good price, but it has been years since I bought in this much bulk. I'm used to paying under a buck a pound, like it should be.
Under a "buck a pound".... that ship has sailed.

I will give a 👍👍for Maryland Homebrew and the owner, Chris Anderson. I remember when she was just an apprentice working at the store. Now she's the honcho.

Great store, good selection, knowledgeable people, pleasant to deal with, fair prices. Since retirement, I don't get by there much anymore. But whenever I get in the vicinity of Baltimore I make it a habit to stop by. After all these years, they still give me a 10% discount!

Under a "buck a pound".... that ship has sailed.
I figured as much. Unless I use my FEIN and Northern. But they stopped accommodating us a long time ago as well.

And I concur, they are a nice store. A little light on product, but friendly and clean. I never know which discount to use since they are all the same.

But I didn't see any mention of price in there.

Back