DC Area Group Grain Buy #12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I store my homemade PBW in an airtight plastic container. Must be kept dry (and cool).

I put most bulk DME into quart ziplock freezer bags (Glad, zipper), ~1.5-2.0# a piece, used for starters. I also have a 5-10 pounds triple bagged lot, that's still dry and fine after 2 years.

i store my PBW in a big zip-lock bag.

DME is also in a big zip-lock, which is kept in a sealable bucket dedicated to DME. all is stored in my cool basement.

Please put me down for:

RAH1002 Rahr standart 2row 50lb
RAH1005 Rahr premium pilsner 50lb

I'll start a quick split, if it doesn't fill you can drop it:

CRI1001 Crisp finest MO 55lb

I'll take 25#

Do we still pay whole sacks to Tony and splits to Frits?

As of the pick up date, if it matters, I cannot do the weekend of May 9th. Any other works.

Hi folks,

quick question to those who have gotten in on PBW or DME splits before. How do you store them? I am inclined to help towards closing those splits but hesitant because of worries about storage.

Thanks!

I have PBW in a big plastic jar with a screw on lid. I do not think it can go bad and I rarely see any lumps in the jar which is not air tight...

Like sweetcell, I put DME in a plastic bag and put that into another container and I do not get lumps...it won't go bad but can get hard as a brick and hard to use if exposed to moist air.

I would not worry too much about it...toss it into a ziplock and store it in a cool, dry place and it will be fine for years.

Please put me down for:

RAH1002 Rahr standart 2row 50lb
RAH1005 Rahr premium pilsner 50lb

I'll start a quick split, if it doesn't fill you can drop it:

CRI1001 Crisp finest MO 55lb

I'll take 25#

Do we still pay whole sacks to Tony and splits to Frits?

As of the pick up date, if it matters, I cannot do the weekend of May 9th. Any other works.

Added. Maybe you can advertise the balance of your MO split :D

Frits,

please add for me:

5# PBW
5# DME Pilsen

Thank you.

Added.

please add to my order a sac of:

WEY1003 Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Last time it took about two hours for the same split to close so.... Fingers crossed.
lol, lemme help you out with that... i came here to propose a split of M.O. and was going to take half. so i'll take 30 pounds and close out the split. new record?

WEY1003Weyermann[emoji768] Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

lol, lemme help you out with that... i came here to propose a split of M.O. and was going to take half. so i'll take 30 pounds and close out the split. new record?

Lol. Awesome

WEY1003 Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Added.

Could be a record. 7:28 - 9:38 is 2h 10' Who's checking the previous r3c0rd?

OK folks...heard back from our friends at 3 Stars this morning. We have two options, May 16 and 23. I would like to go with May 16 which means we close this puppy down this weekend...sorta. We can always add to the buy with 3 weeks of runway, so I think that is our best option. I would not try to add anything that is not a "normal" grain though as you are likely to come away disappointed. So unless there is a roar of disapproval, we are going to do a soft close this weekend and a hard close in a week or two...

May 16th is Beer Bacon Fest in Frederick. I prefer the 23rd. But I am in Gaithersburg and can make any arrangements for free samples including one year barrel aged Saison!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Everyone please start sending in your payments before FRI at midnight so I can put in the order first thing SAT AM. Since we will be 3 weeks out from pickup, we can still add to the order next week. After that I think it is probably impractical to add something, but I will try in a pinch. Again, I would not add anything that is not generic 2 row, pils, Cxx, etc. after this week as you are likely to be disappointed and we will have to go through some hassles to refund, etc.

Payments Received: 6/22
Payments Due: 16/22
Sheet has been updated with payments received as of the time/date of this post for full sacks paid to Tony.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Everyone please start sending in your payments before FRI at midnight so I can put in the order first thing SAT AM. Since we will be 3 weeks out from pickup, we can still add to the order next week. After that I think it is probably impractical to add something, but I will try in a pinch. Again, I would not add anything that is not generic 2 row, pils, Cxx, etc. after this week as you are likely to be disappointed and we will have to go through some hassles to refund, etc.

Payments Received: 6/22
Payments Due: 16/22
Sheet has been updated with payments received as of the time/date of this post for full sacks paid to Tony.

+1^
Thanks for updating the sheet!

I totally assign to that. Order (and payment) should be completed no less than 2 weeks from pick up. We don't want to get caught in back orders again.

Current Status:
52 sacks, 6 of those are open splits with 170# to go.
Please try to fill those open splits in the next week or so.

Get your orders in now and please try to fill those open splits.

Hiya! I guess I'll go with a sack of

SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise 25 kg

in addition to the 2-row I asked for.

I won't be able to pick up the 16th, I will be running around a 1 mile track in NJ. Actually I'll have been running around that track the day before also - 48 hours total. https://sites.google.com/site/njtrailseries/fair I hope you can pick up my sacks Tony & I'll drive to your brewery when I get back in town!

I need a link to the price list again, I'm not sure why I can't seem to hold onto that link...

Cheers,
Steve da Sleeve

Hiya! I guess I'll go with a sack of

SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise 25 kg

in addition to the 2-row I asked for.

I won't be able to pick up the 16th, I will be running around a 1 mile track in NJ. Actually I'll have been running around that track the day before also - 48 hours total. https://sites.google.com/site/njtrailseries/fair I hope you can pick up my sacks Tony & I'll drive to your brewery when I get back in town!

I need a link to the price list again, I'm not sure why I can't seem to hold onto that link...

Cheers,
Steve da Sleeve

Added.

Link sent, check pm.

Just looked at your track. Holy Moses! People really run 100 miles? The idea alone makes me wanna puke.
You'll need some good beer after that!

Payments sent for splits and full sacks.

Either weekend works for me but I would prefer the 16th so I can get a Kolsch going a week earlier. I need something to drink after mowing my lawn or this will be a long summer.

I'll take 5 lbs of the

Gambrinus Honey 25 kg (55 lb)

Anyone want to get in on a white wheat split? No worries if it doesn't close, but I'd like 15 lbs of:

RAH1008 Rahr White Wheat

Thanks!
Josh

Hi Frits,

a friend also wants a sack of Patagonia Extra Pale and split a sack of Pale Pearl with me.

Thus, please add

1X Patagonia Extra Pale

and change the backup Pale Pearl to ordering it in addition.

Thus my total whole sack order is

2X Patagonia Extra Pale
1X Pale Pearl
1X Château Pilsen 2-Row

Thank you and sorry for the last minute change.

paid for my 2 sacs.

Frits, regarding splits: it is not looking likely that my Bavarian Wheat DME split is going to close. do you want me to pay for my share under the assumption it will close and you can refund me later if it doesn't? or should i only pay you for what is certain (i.e. closed splits), and hold off on the Wheat DME portion?

Added.

Link sent, check pm.

Just looked at your track. Holy Moses! People really run 100 miles? The idea alone makes me wanna puke.
You'll need some good beer after that!

Thanks! Yes I've done several 100 milers and 24 hour timed events. And yes there is puking involved and beer after! This will be my first (only?) foray into multiday events. 48 hours vs 24 will be a new adventure. I'm actually thinking I will have a couple of beers in the middle, hold the tequila though...

Cheers!
Steve

Thanks! Yes I've done several 100 milers and 24 hour timed events. And yes there is puking involved and beer after! This will be my first (only?) foray into multiday events. 48 hours vs 24 will be a new adventure. I'm actually thinking I will have a couple of beers in the middle, hold the tequila though...

Cheers!
Steve

I can about a block....slowly

paid for my 2 sacs.

Frits, regarding splits: it is not looking likely that my Bavarian Wheat DME split is going to close. do you want me to pay for my share under the assumption it will close and you can refund me later if it doesn't? or should i only pay you for what is certain (i.e. closed splits), and hold off on the Wheat DME portion?

Dang! That's a really good question.

Some have paid me already including splits that are still open. I knew there was something critical that won't work well with 2 rounds of payment/ordering.

Yes, only pay this 1st round for what is certain or looks like it will make it by next week. I'll refund the prepayments that don't fill with next week's order. There's gonna be some double work involved, sorry!

Hi Frits,

a friend also wants a sack of Patagonia Extra Pale and split a sack of Pale Pearl with me.

Thus, please add

1X Patagonia Extra Pale

and change the backup Pale Pearl to ordering it in addition.

Thus my total whole sack order is

2X Patagonia Extra Pale
1X Pale Pearl
1X Château Pilsen 2-Row

Thank you and sorry for the last minute change.

I adjusted the order. That's Munton's Pale Pearl - MUN 1003, right?
If the Patagonia is still unavailable, any substitutions or just drop those?

I'd like to place one more grain bag order for

1x WEY1017 Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.).

I have 15lbs of this in the split. I'd be happy to continue on that split, but if anyone would like to take my 15 lbs, I'd now prefer to grab something from another split. But only if this isn't totally confusing and really messes something up.

Cheers!
Steve

Better you than me. Just be safe, please, 24h looks grueling enough. Double that, back to back is just nutz! Those beers are certainly well deserved, and they better be good.

I'd like to place one more grain bag order for

1x WEY1017 Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.).

I have 15lbs of this in the split. I'd be happy to continue on that split, but if anyone would like to take my 15 lbs, I'd now prefer to grab something from another split. But only if this isn't totally confusing and really messes something up.

Added the sack of Light Munich.

Removed your 15# from the Light Munich split.
If that one doesn't fill, maybe you're willing to retake the balance. I'm sure that will be very appreciated.

Current Status:
56 sacks, 8 of those are open splits with 205# to go.

Light Munich - This is an open split again, 15# available.

I adjusted the order. That's Munton's Pale Pearl - MUN 1003, right?
If the Patagonia is still unavailable, any substitutions or just drop those?

Correct, Munton's Pale Pearl - MUN 1003. And yes, correct, if the Patagonia is still unavailable, no substitute order, thank you.

Added the sack of Light Munich.

Removed your 15# from the Light Munich split.
If that one doesn't fill, maybe you're willing to retake the balance. I'm sure that will be very appreciated.

Current Status:
56 sacks, 8 of those are open splits with 205# to go.

Light Munich - This is an open split again, 15# available.

I will take the 15 # or whatever else is left if it does not close on its own.

I'll take 5# of GAM1051 Gambrinus Honey 25 kg (55 lb) Split closing that one out.

I'll take 15# of the RAH1008 Rahr White Wheat.

Thanks for being accommodating.

I will take the 15 # or whatever else is left if it does not close on its own.

I'll take 5# of GAM1051 Gambrinus Honey 25 kg (55 lb) Split closing that one out.

I'll take 15# of the RAH1008 Rahr White Wheat.

Thanks for being accommodating.

Both added.
Thanks for offering to take the Lt. Munich balance at the end.

frits, please increase my share of the Bavarian Wheat DME to 15 lbs total (so +5).

TaggTimm has agreed to take 15 lbs if we can close this bag (thanks TaggTimm!).

so that leaves 20 lbs to go. c'mon folks, time to brew some quick n' easy summer wheats! also great for a quick belgian or as a base for a sour. Bavarian Wheat DME is 65% wheat and 35% barley.

Back