DC Area Group Buy #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My AB clone, which is DAMN close, is ready!

I need to enter this beer into a comp!

Has anyone opened a CaraAroma split? If so, I'll take 10# if it's available. If not, open me a split!

I'll get in on the split.

Put me down for 10lbs of CAS1016 Light Munich

So I think I asked before about Star San and was told no, but can't access my email right now to check. Will post back tonight if I find the email, or ask and post if I am misremembering.

Mike: how much CaraAroma did you use in that AB clone? Have you tasted it yet?

15% and it's almost spot on! The only thing that needs to change is the bittering hops and maybe a little less CaraAroma (12-13%, instead of 15%).

-Mike

Pictures for reference...

1403910456569.jpg

1403910467393.jpg

Mine is the darker one.

In thinking about it too, since the Hop aroma/flavor is about right on, it might be a gypsum addition to help with bitterness.

Put me down for

1 x RAH1004 Rahr Pale Ale 50 lb

Added.

My AB clone, which is DAMN close, is ready!

I need to enter this beer into a comp!

Has anyone opened a CaraAroma split? If so, I'll take 10# if it's available. If not, open me a split!

Good to hear your AB is getting so close. I'll brew mine with your suggestions.

Yeah, I had opened one. 10# for you, added.

Mine is the darker one.

In thinking about it too, since the Hop aroma/flavor is about right on, it might be a gypsum addition to help with bitterness.

I always add gypsum when brewing this beer, and I think my hop aroma and flavor are spot on. Cutting back the CaraAroma will also lighten it a bit as yours is a bit dark. I also toss in some carapils to get better head retention. I guess I should actually put all this into Beersmith instead of doing it by rote...

I have some fresh AB so whenever you get a chance, sling me a bottle and I will do a side by side or even a triangle test...

Any CaraAroma left on this buy? The sheet says 15 lbs, so if so close it. I will take the last 15.

I always add gypsum when brewing this beer, and I think my hop aroma and flavor are spot on. Cutting back the CaraAroma will also lighten it a bit as yours is a bit dark. I also toss in some carapils to get better head retention. I guess I should actually put all this into Beersmith instead of doing it by rote...

I have some fresh AB so whenever you get a chance, sling me a bottle and I will do a side by side or even a triangle test...

Any CaraAroma left on this buy? The sheet says 15 lbs, so if so close it. I will take the last 15.

Yeah, gypsum will get it there, probably, with the existing hop schedule. The head retention will be fine. That bottle was only carbed for one week and was only in fridge for one day before tasting it. In another week it will have plenty head.

I might drop the CaraAroma to 12% to get color down a little more, as I think dropping to 10% would have too much effect on color and flavor.

Any idea of the pick-up date so I can make arrangements? If I can make it work I'm in.

Anyone interested in splitting Simpsons Peated 25 kg (55 lb)? I'd like some but that is a strong grain to end up with 55lbs lol!

man already I still have my full sack in my garage. i guess i need to get rolling

August or Sept is about all I could guess right now. Probably best to wait until near the end if you are unsure...

August is a very busy month with lots of events again, such as MASHOUT! (8/14-17) and Labor Day weekend tacking right on at the end. I have the feeling it's going to be either the beginning of August or more realistically, the middle of September or later.

We're also not gathering a lot of whole sacks right now either.

Who was it at the last buy who brought the Marzen, IPA, and another beer; all or most of which had won awards? Just got to the IPA and am absolutely loving it!! Need recipe!!

one thing i'm unclear about: do folks brew at mashout? or is it more camping, drinking and eating? if they do brew, is electricity available (for the pumps)? what's the water situation, for cooling?

There's no brewing except for the occasional special event. It's all about homebrew, (with some killer pro stuff, too) food, music, camping, having a blast with other homebrewers, hiking, bike riding, and new this year, water activities in the Potomac.

No electricity except for a generator for the band on Friday night. No running water. Fairly rustic camping.

I've been going for years and it is always the highlight of my summer.

I love beer, camping, food, and good times. This Mashout looks like a lot of fun. Timing this year is horrible though and i wont be able to make it. I wont be doing anything but ill be just getting back from a 2 week vacation and the wife will veto this Mashout camp trip.

I have the same problem with attending Mashout. My company always has our annual client conference at the same time and I have to be in Chicago all week..... I hope to attend one day!

In the future, keep the middle of August clear. It is always held then. Got to have your priorities straight.[emoji6]

Ha! i have no control over my vacation this year. Going to be in Alaska for a wedding and some fishing for a week, then immediately after, were going to OBX for a family beach trip. Gonna be more like a family reunion that we do annually. 10 bed room house on the beach with around 25 people. both these trips i did not pick the dates.

Enjoying a Lemon Pepper Saison!

Made from 2-Row, Rye and Vienna Malts. Turbinado sugar addition. Hopped with Sorachi Ace. Lemon zest and cracked green peppercorn in boil. Belgian Saison I yeast to cap it off.

Prost!

1404777084851.jpg

Now it's on to the Arrogant Bastard clone. This beer is phenominal! So close to the real thing, just slightly darker and a little less bitter (forgot the gypsum addition in boil).

Cheers!

1404778978020.jpg

Can I get part of a couple of splits?:

10lbs of the Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L

and

10lbs of the Château Pilsen 2-Row

Any feedback on the Gratzer? About to brew it in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey guys! Can I please get

1x CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)

1x CAS1002 Château Pilsen 2-Row 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

1x CAS1016 Château Munich Light® 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

And from the split
10lb Caramel 40L
5lb Pale Chocolate

Hey guys! Can I please get

1x CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)

1x CAS1002 Château Pilsen 2-Row 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

1x CAS1016 Château Munich Light® 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

And from the split
10lb Caramel 40L
5lb Pale Chocolate

Added!
Caramel 40L is now closed.

Any feedback on the Gratzer? About to brew it in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What questions do you have? It didn't stick, and I never use rice huls. It's smoker than I expected. Was still kinda flat when I left for hillbilly land. The new style guides say it should be clear.... And mine was uber hazy.

If anyone wants to stop bye mad taste it on mondy, I'm sure I can be of assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back