DC Area Group Buy #10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disclaimer: This post is Off Topic...

For the gents who were interested in the welded brewstands:

I was able to get the bottom frame welded today on one (it's been a rough few months with work and family issues). I plan to do the top frame and supports over the next week. Will post pics along the way.

-Mike

Nice job! Why don't you open your own thread in the DYI subforum? I'd sub!

ON TOPIC:

Can we ask our supplier if they can get the BSG Hop Extracts?
i'm all for this as long as we can get it in pre-measured amounts. trying to split a large amount of hyper-concentrated hop goo is a bad, bad idea.

i'm sure we've discussed this before, but what about getting unconcentrated hops? (AKA flowers and pellets...)

We can, but the price list I got last time was higher costs than mail order hops. I use farmhousebrewing amongst others and their prices beat the prices I got last year. I will ask again. BTW, farmhousebrewing does have the extract. I have used it both ways and prefer to buy in bulk, depite the gooey mess, as it is a lot cheaper...

We can, but the price list I got last time was higher costs than mail order hops. I use farmhousebrewing amongst others and their prices beat the prices I got last year. I will ask again. BTW, farmhousebrewing does have the extract. I have used it both ways and prefer to buy in bulk, depite the gooey mess, as it is a lot cheaper...

I brew most of my beers with hops from farmhousebrewing. Their customer service is excellent and I haven't had any issues with their hops either.

Good to know. I've been waiting for 2014 crop to be available on Farmhousebrewing before i put in a big order.

Actually, I just ordered Cascade Hop Extract (2 oz / each container) for $15/each from HopTech. That's about 60ml, which equates to about 600 IBU worth of Cascade power, if for the full boil. However, it being Cascade, I will use it for massive late hop additions. First beer on new brewstand will be the pilot for a Super Cascade late hopper.

They also have Fuggle, Saaz, Hersbrucker, EKG, Willamette and a British Blend. The also have that IsoHop stuff where it is just for bittering (already isomerized).

P.S. That is about $7 cheaper for the Extract than Farmhouse has it for.

I'll take:

1 sack 9 BRI1002 Briess 2-Row Brewers 50 lb
10# Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) CAS1051 from the existing split

What kind of bags should I bring to help the cause?

Actually, I just ordered Cascade Hop Extract (2 oz / each container) for $15/each from HopTech. That's about 60ml, which equates to about 600 IBU worth of Cascade power, if for the full boil. However, it being Cascade, I will use it for massive late hop additions. First beer on new brewstand will be the pilot for a Super Cascade late hopper.

They also have Fuggle, Saaz, Hersbrucker, EKG, Willamette and a British Blend. The also have that IsoHop stuff where it is just for bittering (already isomerized).

P.S. That is about $7 cheaper for the Extract than Farmhouse has it for.

Don't get your math. 100 grams is about 3.6 ounces. $22/3.6 is about $6.11 per ounce so 2 ounces would be $12.22 which is about $3 cheaper than HopTech.

I only have used this for bittering, and mainly to reduce the amount of hop material for BIG HOPPY beers like Pliney the Elder or similar beers.

Yup, you're right. Math was off, but no matter because Farmhouse doesn't have in stock.. Their stuff, though, isn't varietal specific. The Hop Tech stuff is, so you know what flavors/aroma you will get from late additions.

Actually, I just checked and they are about the same price...only the varietal is $15...the bittering can is $12.95. I have bought this somewhere else as well but can't remember where...small shop in WA state I think that sells only hops. <EDIT> Found it...yakimavalleyhops...same price, $22 a can.

I'll take:

Just wanted to bump this as I didn't see a reply or an update to the order sheet. Apologies if that isn't the right process.

I'll take:

Just wanted to bump this as I didn't see a reply or an update to the order sheet. Apologies if that isn't the right process.

Added! Sorry, I hadn't checked the thread in a few days. A bump is good.

Grocery store bags without holes are fine. We prefer to double bag those, just in case. Pick up some extra ones next time you're checking out.

Added! Sorry, I hadn't checked the thread in a few days. A bump is good.

Grocery store bags without holes are fine. We prefer to double bag those, just in case. Pick up some extra ones next time you're checking out.

Thanks for the add.

And I'm in MoCo, those bags are 5 cents each man! Pricey stuff! j/k I'll steal some from the gf's stash. Or maybe just head up to Fredneck to do some shopping.

Thanks for the add.

And I'm in MoCo, those bags are 5 cents each man! Pricey stuff! j/k I'll steal some from the gf's stash. Or maybe just head up to Fredneck to do some shopping.

I hate MoCo with a passion :D I work there but I refuse to do anything else there. Everything in Frederick is so much... nicer! :mug:

Thanks for the add.

They charge for bags there? Whoa! There's no grocery bag worth paying money for, even those from Wegmans, since their pricing makes up for it hundredfold.

Hey, don't go out of your way, you only have one split, at least so far.

I'll ask my wife to stash a few more next time she's shopping again. She deserves the <big hug> from you guys, without her there would have been very few bags all those buys....

We generally shop with those woven reusable bags with straps that can hold a full carboy.

MoCo charges 5 cents per bag as a tax. We've got a ton of those reusable shopping bags. My favorite one to use is the one from the local gun shop :)

Another pic of stand coming together. Two more support legs and then the top. Then it's on to burner and plumbing mounting.

1411056127684.jpg

Actually, I just checked and they are about the same price...only the varietal is $15...the bittering can is $12.95. I have bought this somewhere else as well but can't remember where...small shop in WA state I think that sells only hops. <EDIT> Found it...yakimavalleyhops...same price, $22 a can.

So I ordered the Cascade varietal vials (x2) from Hoptech and a 100 can of Hopshot from Yakima Valley Hops.

I'd like to jump in on two of the splits with 5# each:
- Simpson naked oats
- Chateau Biscuit

Frits, could you please also change my floor-malted bohemian to Pilsner (WEY1003)?

Thanks!

Getting closer. Only about 15-20 minutes a day to dedicate, so slow going. Cross supports, expanded metal bottom and casters are left...

1411176310749.jpg

Another gratuitous brewstand pic.

Only a couple of more weld left.

This stand design allows for Sanke kegs or Megapot-style pots on top and the storing of pots underneath when not in use. Stand is 61.5" long, 36" tall and 15.5" deep. It will also support up to two pumps, and a 19" Duda Diesel plate chiller.

1411265447547.jpg

Hello everyone, this is my first post ever! Not that it matters. I am curious, though, who do I contact to join the group buy? Thanks for your time! :mug:

Read it, and sent message to Original Poster, just making sure I wasn't too drunk to comprehend. Thanks for your time. ~ Mike :drunk:

Hi Frits,

Please add:

1X GLO1008 Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 25 kg (55 lb)
1X MAL1004 Patagonia Extra Pale 25 kg (55 lb)

and starting a split for Weyermann Pale Wheat

25# WEY1005 Weyermann® Pale Wheat 25 kg (55 Lb.)

Wire the total ($128.84) to you via Paypal? Or just the split ($25.43)?

Thanks!

Hi Frits,

Please add:

1X GLO1008 Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 25 kg (55 lb)
1X MAL1004 Patagonia Extra Pale 25 kg (55 lb)

and starting a split for Weyermann Pale Wheat

25# WEY1005 Weyermann® Pale Wheat 25 kg (55 Lb.)

Wire the total ($128.84) to you via Paypal? Or just the split ($25.43)?

Thanks!

Added.

Just the amount for the split is fine.
UPDATE: Prepayment received, thanks!

Hey GermanBrewer, have you used either of those malts before? I have gotten mixed accounts of what they're like from sites online.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey GermanBrewer, have you used either of those malts before? I have gotten mixed accounts of what they're like from sites online.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
I have used the Patagonia pale malt once in a pliney clone with great success. Side by side tasting the same clone recipe using Briess 2-row was done, though the "Briess clone" was one week older than the Patagonia one. I liked the Patagonia clone better (seemed to have a fuller character), so I decided to go with a full bag. The Schill Koelsch malt is for a project I have in mind to optimize my Koelsch recipe further which is a staple in my home brewing.

Back