Day 5 - Is my Scoby looking OK and Kombucha fermenting correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinmmm

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm really new to this so really appreciate if you could give me some info. I had the SCOBY given to me with some starter (very little). I cut it in half and fermenting in two jars. So far, it's been 4.5 days and there only a very thin film on the top. The SCOBY started at the bottom but has since risen to the top. Below are some pictures. Hope you all could give me some insight on how I'm doing with my home brew. Many thanks in advance.

Justin image1 (2).JPG image2 (1).JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG

Everything looks healthy to me and it's probably finished (or close) but personally I would take both small batches you brewed and use them as starters for another batch. Also possibly crank the heat (just put your booch in the warmest room in your house)

It'll get everything kickstarted and read to go. The last scoby I was working on was taking forever in my kitchen this winter, literally looked like film for a week (mind you I was growing from a bottle not a previous scoby) then I noticed the bathroom downstairs was wicked warm being next to the heater for the condo. I stuck it there and in three days I had a scoby as thick as yours

After these batches though, 5-10 days (depending on if you like sweet or acidic booch) will be all it takes. You'll know if something is wrong, if you have to ask it's probably fine (but don't hesitate to ask!) but if it's truly infected you'll know without a doubt

Everything looks healthy to me and it's probably finished (or close) but personally I would take both small batches you brewed and use them as starters for another batch. Also possibly crank the heat (just put your booch in the warmest room in your house)

It'll get everything kickstarted and read to go. The last scoby I was working on was taking forever in my kitchen this winter, literally looked like film for a week (mind you I was growing from a bottle not a previous scoby) then I noticed the bathroom downstairs was wicked warm being next to the heater for the condo. I stuck it there and in three days I had a scoby as thick as yours

After these batches though, 5-10 days (depending on if you like sweet or acidic booch) will be all it takes. You'll know if something is wrong, if you have to ask it's probably fine (but don't hesitate to ask!) but if it's truly infected you'll know without a doubt
Ho Michale,

Things seem to be going well and young Scoby is forming. I originally made a batch into two containers but has since then made a new batch using 1 container with the remainder transferred into a bottle for second fermentation. The other container from original batch I continue brewing to make more Scoby.

Good! When it comes to mold or infection with konbucha it's basically a no brainer. You'll know that it's bad

Best of luck and let me know how the finished product turns out!

Latest posts

Back