David Sakolsky of Deciduous Brewing Co

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50+yrs or gtfo. ;)

THATS WHEN THE MAGIC HAPPENS

Edit: Madeira is horrible. Nothing to see here folks. Old stuff is expensive and not worth it.

You're too late

tumblr_ma3ajjstqQ1rpgx7eo1_250.gif

lotr-beacon-o.gif

tumblr_ma3ajjstqQ1rpgx7eo6_250.gif

I honeymooned in Madeira. All 'bout dat action, boss. Will buy as many Madeira-aged beers as you'll sell me as gifts to the wife.
Wat?! Im insanely jealous. That trip is added to the bucketlist.
Probably wont be doing too many madeira cross projects sadly. I can get rainwater barrels but im not sure i want them. Ive heard horror stories about onsite coopers and how rough the barrels are when they finally leave. Open to it but extremely skeptical.

edit, and just to keep everyone from talking about and buying one of the few alcohols I truly appreciate...
1495939_10203764236291206_1972828312825168707_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wat?! Im insanely jealous. That trip is added to the bucketlist.
Probably wont be doing too many madeira cross projects sadly. I can get rainwater barrels but im not sure i want them. Ive heard horror stories about onsite coopers and how rough the barrels are when they finally leave. Open to it but extremely skeptical.
It's the greatest. Like Hawaii with Portuguese architecture and all the Madeira you can handle (usually for like 3 euro for a glass of 5-year anything). It's not too hard to get to, especially from the east coast. I bet there's a Boston to Lisbon direct, and then it's an easy flight from there. Obviously you're too busy to travel at the moment, but I can't recommend it highly enough!

Dave, what size brewhouse you working with to start?

And in re: to teh small event I hinted at earlier...
https://www.facebook.com/david.sakolsky/posts/10203847992705064

The brewhouse is delayed again (seriously, I will pay scabs out of pocket at this point.), so sadly that will not be installed by the time this event happens. But we do have cellar tanks up and will be providing a small surprise.

"Granite State Growler Tours is proud to provide transportation for the Second Annual Sunday Beer Brunch hosted by WHYM Craft Beer Cafeincluding a unique first peek at Deciduous Brewing Company.

End Portsmouth Beer Week with great food and delicious beers!

This unique package includes

Brunch at WHYM paired with beer
Meet head brewer David Sakolsky and learn all about the seacoast's newest brewery
A private tour of the new Deciduous Brewing Co in Newmarket
A ride between WHYM and Deciduous on Greta the Growler Getta and Hop Hunter
The cost for this package is $35 per person

We will have 28 total seats available, arrive at WHYM for brunch at 11 and we will leave for Deciduous at 12:00pm.

Times and schedules are subject to change."

Positive news everyone!
We are officially approved by the Feds, now to finish up state!
Also going to try to make a bunch of cupcakes and send them to the dockworkers and ceos, both saying "sorry." Maybe we can end this strike and get a brewhouse. :p
10363728_10203879337208657_8759141933329332207_n.jpg
Tell me about it. They need to get to work! I need my parts.

Im out of town this week. But just an update, our branding is locked and ill be whoring out to social media everywhere asap!

Strike is seemingly over and hopefully they will find our brewhouse any day now.

Chemical and first ingredient orders are coming up quickly.

Ill have another test batch of apa for those interested in a few weeks.

Keg washer arrives any day.

Cold room is in, just in pieces. So that needs to be assembled asap.

Many many things to do. But hopefully, if we make good product (which is totally the plan, mind you), we'll see you guys soon!

Last edited:
Good news first, even if it is mostly swag related. Glassware is nearly finalized (tasters, long stem wines, short stem wines), growlers are going to the printers over the next two weeks, tshirts are almost done, and because cart before the horse; the stovetop APA test is hitting the keg Sundayish. Should be ready for tasting by middle of this coming week.
Rinai is getting put in asap, we are attempting to get the cold room built this weekend, we are recovering from some water damage (really Dave, -25F to 54F in a couple days with 8ft snow drifts, what the **** did you expect?), and trying to just get everything lined up so the bad news doesnt hurt us any more than it already is going to.

And now for the bad news...
Strike has been over but the delays keep coming. Another brewhouse delay today. Hoping we see it by mid April.
That boat also has most of our glycol, our hlt, our clt, and more.

Haha, not too much going on lately except me trying to stay sane (why i laugh?). What has changed:
-as of right now, brewhouse should hit nebraska for finish work by the 26th. So maybe landing here mid april-ish if we are lucky?
-Glassware has been ordered, but i had to opt for laser engraving for one part that i wanted to have colored (itll make more sense soon)
-my hwod is installed as of today, gas fireplace is being framed up
-i need to build the cold room still, so if anyone has time and hands to spare...
-working on signage and growler art
-as of right now the plan is we will have 750ml branded swingtops ONLY in the beginning, we will rebrand any amber swingtop (750ml, 1L (prorated fills) and 2L) with our label for a undetermined sub $2 charge.
-due to the extra delays, packaging is on a small hold and in the beginning i am really going to be pushing draft and growler as its less overhead for us.
-had a fantastic weekend hanging with a certain, extremely talented brewer but didnt exactly accomplish much else haha
-the new apa test batch is in the keg and just about ready to sample. (Stovetop job)
-and so many other little things i am sure im forgetting at the moment as i sit in the car typing this, haha.

Ill snap some new shots once the cold room is up. Nothing is photogenic like a silver box ;P

Haha, not too much going on lately except me trying to stay sane (why i laugh?). What has changed:
-as of right now, brewhouse should hit nebraska for finish work by the 26th. So maybe landing here mid april-ish if we are lucky?
-Glassware has been ordered, but i had to opt for laser engraving for one part that i wanted to have colored (itll make more sense soon)
-my hwod is installed as of today, gas fireplace is being framed up
-i need to build the cold room still, so if anyone has time and hands to spare...
-working on signage and growler art
-as of right now the plan is we will have 750ml branded swingtops ONLY in the beginning, we will rebrand any amber swingtop (750ml, 1L (prorated fills) and 2L) with our label for a undetermined sub $2 charge.
-due to the extra delays, packaging is on a small hold and in the beginning i am really going to be pushing draft and growler as its less overhead for us.
-had a fantastic weekend hanging with a certain, extremely talented brewer but didnt exactly accomplish much else haha
-the new apa test batch is in the keg and just about ready to sample. (Stovetop job)
-and so many other little things i am sure im forgetting at the moment as i sit in the car typing this, haha.

Ill snap some new shots once the cold room is up. Nothing is photogenic like a silver box ;P
Perhaps that talented brewer was I guy I might be aware of................................;)

I think they are for us (photo credit: Matt Johns):
11018322_10204087962384156_9127087545674731793_n.jpg

10421193_10204087962304154_4851305581928095799_n.jpg

603803_10204087962424157_8031085135660918221_n.jpg

But this got a little reaction out of me... Both positive (yay progress) and negative (is that hinge going to cause the top tun manway to bang on that recirc arm?)

Regardless, I should be way more excited about this, but what's the old saying, 18 times bitten twice shy?

More hoses, sprayers, and chemical ordered. Barrel racks en route along with a bunch of other little things (flow control faucets, sankey couplers, etc)
And we are getting our potential delivery vehicle looked over! Cannot express enough gratitude for that donation.
CBHXybNWAAAD0QG.jpg

And starting to clean up and prep for the brewhouse delivery, fingers crossed, breath held, all that good stuff!
11088611_10204104595759980_727368889045194772_o.jpg

Progress, progress, progress!
And the test apa didn't suck imo (but needs a little more work), so that's a plus :)

Back