Data Loggers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a data logger to monitor fermentation temps, and maybe even mash temps.

I've used the HOBO loggers before for energy audits and they are fantastic. The set up I am looking at is a temperature logger with a 2 meter sensor.

Only problem is they are pretty expensive, $175 for the logger and $95 for the sensor (I already have the software). Then again, I am tired of thermometers crapping out on me or giving inaccurate readings. Plus I can use this for a ton of things, including cooking. They logging part isn't always needed but they are very accurate too.

Any of you use data loggers? Do you have a cheaper, but reliable option?

one of the reasons I bought a BCS 462 is so I can log/adjust my fermentation temps.

since I'm building thermistors for other parts of by brew rig, another 2 for the fermenatrix won't be much. Maybe $10 total for thermowells and thermistors.

If you're thinking about going with electric/controlled brewing you might check out the BCS.

www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com

B

BCS-460 Datalog.

Here is a sample from a test I did:

RIMS_Heater1.JPG

I'm thinking about making such a data log and self temp. regulating swamp cooler (or fridge) with one of these: http://www.arduino.cc/ The basic board costs about $30 and I plan to add on a wireless shield to communicate with a sealed sensor sitting in the fermentor.

Anyway it is a cheap project to do if you know how to code C, solder and have access to a machine shop to build a stainless steel capsule for a small temp sensor and wireless chip. It will of course take a lot more hours than buying something that already does all that.

I'm looking into getting a data logger to monitor fermentation temps, and maybe even mash temps.

I've used the HOBO loggers before for energy audits and they are fantastic. The set up I am looking at is a temperature logger with a 2 meter sensor.

Only problem is they are pretty expensive, $175 for the logger and $95 for the sensor (I already have the software). Then again, I am tired of thermometers crapping out on me or giving inaccurate readings. Plus I can use this for a ton of things, including cooking. They logging part isn't always needed but they are very accurate too.

Any of you use data loggers? Do you have a cheaper, but reliable option?
Look at Go!Temp school science lab products. I have not used them but it comes with basic software and appears plug and play

Thanks guys. Got some great looking options here and I'll take a look at all of them. Plotting my temps on a chart like these makes me salivate. Here's to nerds :mug:

Honestly, circuit boards and talk about coding scares the sh** outta me. That system from embedded control concepts looks incredible. I didn't know something like that existed for homebrewers. Someday..

I think for now the best option is the logger that passedpawn has. So a couple questions for him

- Did you buy that online or from a local retailer? It doesn't look like they sell it directly from their site.

- Where did you buy the thermocouples and about how much are they? What type did you get for monitoring temperature?

Very cool test with the dishwasher by the way. Thanks!

Honestly, circuit boards and talk about coding scares the sh** outta me. That system from embedded control concepts looks incredible. I didn't know something like that existed for homebrewers. Someday..

I think for now the best option is the logger that passedpawn has. So a couple questions for him

- Did you buy that online or from a local retailer? It doesn't look like they sell it directly from their site.

- Where did you buy the thermocouples and about how much are they? What type did you get for monitoring temperature?

Very cool test with the dishwasher by the way. Thanks!

This was "leftover" equipment from a consulting contract I had. Besides being a stamp collector, I dabble a bit in electronics (HW design, firmware, embedded everything). I didn't buy it.

I also have a fluke temp meter, thanks to another client :D

brewmation makes a data logger. I have it but haven't hooked it up (since my brewmation tells me on the LCD what the temps are... the logger is just verification really at that point.)

I don't know about less expensive, but....

I agree costs are important but finding a durable temperature data logger which gives reliable results for us in the end was key in our buying decision. We have tried different systems. With most of the problem is that the measurement is not accurate since the sensor is placed somewhere within a test body.

The only way to get real results is to have the sensor in the cold spot of an real bottle going through the actual heat treatment process. We found the logger which suited us at Bakrona (www.bakrona.ch). They have two solutions: Either you insert a micro logger in the bottle and use a holder to have the measuring tip in the cold spot or you use a regular logger which is fixed on top of the cap with a long sensor piercing through the cap with the measuring tip in the cold spot (both loggers can be found here: http://www.bakrona.ch/produkte/thermische-validierung/drahtlose-datenlogger/datenlogger.html).

An additional benefit is that they have dual sensors so you can measure inside as well as outside the bottle. This will show you interesting results :)

I actually ended up getting the data logger that passedpawn has. The device is great and I've been logging everything imaginable. I even picked up the 6' high-temperature wire thermocouple from Thermoworks and it's been invaluable for monitoring my mash temps on my 3-tier.

Back