Dark Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
I just got back into brewing after a few years off and decided to do my first all grain batch. I found a recipe for a saison and decided to do an 11 gallon batch so I could split it up and try some different things. I put the info into beersmith and it told me to mash in at 150 with roughly 7.5 gallons. Hit my temp perfect but when i started to sparge, I realized how dark the wort was. It looked like a pretty dark brown ale. Below is the grain bill. Would that little amount of chocolate wheat turn it that dark? Or did I do something wrong? Kinda worried since I expected it to be way lighter. Any info would be great.

Pale Ale Malt - 17 lb
White Wheat- 3 lb
Oat Flakes - 1 lb
Chocolate Wheat - .37 .lb

I just got back into brewing after a few years off and decided to do my first all grain batch. I found a recipe for a saison and decided to do an 11 gallon batch so I could split it up and try some different things. I put the info into beersmith and it told me to mash in at 150 with roughly 7.5 gallons. Hit my temp perfect but when i started to sparge, I realized how dark the wort was. It looked like a pretty dark brown ale. Below is the grain bill. Would that little amount of chocolate wheat turn it that dark? Or did I do something wrong? Kinda worried since I expected it to be way lighter. Any info would be great.

Pale Ale Malt - 17 lb
White Wheat- 3 lb
Oat Flakes - 1 lb
Chocolate Wheat - .37 .lb

.27 lb of chocolate wheat will do that, you just made a dark saison, nothing wrong with that !

My beers always come out darker that what Beersmith predicts. I've heard explanations involving boil time, early hop additions, and mash pH, but I just adjust my recipes to compensate.

Back