Dark Stout hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
not much experience in brewing all grain stout. here is my recipe and stats. I feel like the amount of malty-ness and the higher ABV means i need more IBUs to balance this out a bit more. I feel that 8.0 % abv , 1.089 OG and 37.1 IBUs is going to yield a super malty beer... any thoughts? I just think another ounce of hops will balance this out so much more.... Whaddya Think?

10 Lbs Maris Otter
5 Lbs Vienna
1 Lbs Victory
12 oz Crystal 60L
12 oz Crystal 120L
12 oz Flaked Barley
12 oz Flaked Oats
12 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Black Patent
--------------------------
1oz Fuggles @ 60 min
1oz Hallertau @ 60 min
1oz Perle @ 60 min
--------------------------
WYeast 1332 Northwest Ale

1.089 OG
42.8 IBU
8% ABV
37.2 SRM

Also, i was considering another .5 lb of victory just to really pound on the nutty roasted notes, any opinions? I'm open to any an all critique....

::mug::

It depends on your personal tastes. I prefer roasty, nutty, and malty stouts. If were brewing this I would add a pound and a quarter of roast barley instead of the black patent, and skip the victory malt. It will give you good color and will be nice and roasty.

For bittering I would use the Hallertau and Perle. Then add the oz of fuggle at 20 to give some flavor and still get a bit of bittering.

I like northern brewer and willamette in my stouts, perle has a similar character to the nb.

Back