Dark Star burner issues *solved*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Hello brewmasters!

I received a dark star burner from Northern Brewer and had issues with it immediately. I was bummed out because I sold my bayou burner on CL the day before my new burner arrived in the mail. My bayou burner performed great and the new burner didn't. I would get black soot all over my kettle and couldn't get a blue flame at low/medium power. I didn't want to boil the whole time at full power just to prevent my kettle from getting black soot.

I called Northern Brewer and explained my issue. They said that 1 out of every 50 regulators are faulty and they would send me out a new regulator. I got the regulator today and it's made from bayou classic lol. It is 10psi vs. 5psi that the original was. The hose is much longer as well and is stainless.

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

This regulator is not as pretty as the standard one but it performs much better. I did a test run and no soot got on my kettle and the flame was blue the whole time :rockin: The air/gas flow is still useless but the flame is good. Northern Brewer also included one of their 16oz glasses for the hassle I went through :D Has anybody replaced their regulator on this burner? I've read several threads about people having issues but I never saw a resolution.

Back