Dark Saison Mash Temp??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
I am looking to make a dark saison with this malt bill:

6lb vienna
6lb pilsner
8oz midnight wheat
4oz carafa special ii
4oz chocolate malt

Belgian 3724

Was thinking of adding lb of dextrose or candi syrup, still on fence.

Do I want a low (149F) mash temp to dry the beer out along with sugar or should I mash higher (158F) to bring out the dark malts?

I'd go low with that yeast and its notorious attenuation problems. Some sugar may be a good idea for the same reason.

I'd go low with that yeast and its notorious attenuation problems. Some sugar may be a good idea for the same reason.

The Dupont strain has no problems with attenuation - in fact it attenuates very well. The problem lies with impatient brewers. I've used it several times and have achieved 85%+ attenuation each time. If you expect it to be done in a week, you'll be disappointed. If you give it some heat and allow it to take it's time, you'll be rewarded. Sugar is never a bad idea in a Saison, but it won't help you avoid the stall.

The Dupont strain has no problems with attenuation - in fact it attenuates very well. The problem lies with impatient brewers. I've used it several times and have achieved 85%+ attenuation each time. If you expect it to be done in a week, you'll be disappointed. If you give it some heat and allow it to take it's time, you'll be rewarded. Sugar is never a bad idea in a Saison, but it won't help you avoid the stall.

Fair enough, I don't have a lot of experience with it.

Latest posts

Back