Dark Cherries in Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalman

Reaction score
I just got done brewing a Chocolate Stout and I'm going to rack onto frozen dark cherries in the secondary fermentation.(going to heat them up and hold them over 140 for 10 min.)
My question is how much cherries should I use? I was going to use a pound but now I think more. :rockin:

With a really roasty beer like a chocolate stout, you'll need at least a few pounds, i.e. 5 pounds. It also depends on how much flavor you want. Looking for just a light cherry hint in the background? Go with 4-5 pounds. Looking for a good cherry flavor up front? Go with 6-7 pounds.

I agree with usf, but for more up-front cherry flavor, I'd add at least 10# because the dark grains will work against you with fruit.

I have good results using around 8 lbs for 5 gallons in my stouts. The cherry is definitely there and well balanced IMO. Simply freeze to sterilize and put them in the secondary, rack onto that. No need to heat them.

What type of cherries do you guys suggest? I'm filling a Templeton Rye barrel with an imperial cherry stout and I'm looking for some bulk cherries to buy that won't break the bank...too much. Overall I'll probably need 60# of cherries.

This time of year you'll probably need to take whatever you can get. I've used black cherries and tart pie cherries, depending on the beer profile, or a combination of the two.

Also, I'd probably do the barrel aging first, then move back to a carboy for the cherries. I wouldn't want to have the cherries or cherry flavor in the barrel.

Ahhh....very good point! Never thought of that. That would give me time to save up if I decided to add cherries. I reached out to one of my club members who works for Sysco and he gave me this estimate for what he could get.
5 LB CS SYS IMP CHERRY DRIED $38.57
5LB CS SYS CLS CHERRY RED TART PTD IQF GRA $21.21
#10 CS SYS SUP *CHERRY DRK SWT PTD IN JCE CH $76.70
It adds up quick!! I like your idea of waiting to put the cherries in after that way I can just do one or two batches with cherries. Thanks for the help!

Simply freeze to sterilize and put them in the secondary, rack onto that. No need to heat them.

I don't think freezing will kill microorganisms. Well, at least at the temperatures we are capable of obtaining.

Sort of why we freeze or keep cool our yeast. Like, there is no way to heat yeast up to extreme temperatures and survive but they will survive being frozen if frozen properly. Or kept cool in your fridge.

One reason to freeze fresh fruit before using is to break down the cellular walls,so that juices will move out of the fruit easier.

Do you think that putting the cherries in a blender to puree them, then adding it to the secondary will do anything to intensify the cherry flavor?

Probably would, but you'll also have to deal with all the debris as well, and the skins would be a pain.

Back