Dandelion wine questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderay

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently started a 3 gallon batch of dandelion wine. I used 3 quarts of petals only as well as the juice and find of 6 oranges and 3 lemons. For yeast I went with Lalvin EC-1118. After adding the sugar to the must, I had some leftover must that was displaced from the sugar. I placed this in a container in the refrigerator. Will this be ok to use to top up my carboy after I rack? Should it be kept in freezer instead of refrigerator? Or should I stick with water or white grape juice for topping off? Also, I heard that Lalvin EC-1118 can leave a yeasty flavor in lighter wines, so I was wondering if I should add some golden raisins for body. If I add the raisins when should I do it? I started fermenting on June 3rd, 2016. Thanks!

Bump because I'm interested too. Freezing the must SHOULDN'T (can't say for sure because when freezing fruit, the cell walls may rupture and lead to off flavors... Dandelions... Idk) be an issue as long as yeast wasn't added yet. Freezing yeast ruptures the cell walls and leads to bad taste. Check your gravity before topping off (I never top off but I'm new to wine, mostly a beer brewer). Neither of those additions should be issue, so if you want it higher in abv, add the juice. If you add water, make sure you dechlorinate it, or just distilled water. I have nothing add concerning the yeast or the raisins because idk.

You aren't getting answers because you've posted this in the recipe database rather than in the regular forums. Try posting it in the discussion forums or ask a mod to move the thread for you.

It's been moved, but this is still here. I hadn't used the app in over a year and couldn't find where I needed to be.

Latest posts

Back