Dandelion wine OG adjustment calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendTap

Reaction score
I've got my first-ever batch of dandelion wine merrily bubbling away in the primary right now. Took an OG reading before pitching, but because of the order I'm doing things in I'll need to do some adjustment to that reading, just wondering if anyone knows how to do so.

The batch size was 1.75 gal to start, gonna add water in secondary to boost to an even 2 gal. The hydrometer read 1.138. After taking the reading, I pitched my yeast starter, which in addition to the yeast was the juice of 4 oranges (about 1.25 cups of juice). I then added 2 lbs of chopped golden raisins to the primary.

Obviously, between the juice and raisins I'm looking at getting a ballpark estimate at best, but I'd like to at least have some idea of ABV once I take a final gravity reading.

You’re diluting it by 1/8 so 138 x .125 = 17.25

138 - 17.25 = 120.75

OG (without OJ) is 1.12075 round to 1.121.

As for the OJ, you’d have to do a little googling to determine how much sugar it has. At 10 fl oz’s it’ll bump it a smidge but not much.

Latest posts

Back