Dandelion wine/beer secondary or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I recently did a batch of "beer" as it was called that really appears to be wine to me. The recipe was:

Dandelion Beer
• 200-500g dandelion plants
• 1-2lb sugar
• 25g yeast
• 1-2 lemons
• 1 gallon water
• 25g cream of tarter
• 10g root ginger
Boil the dandelion plants with the ginger and the rind of the lemon for no more than 15minutes; strain and add to the sugar and cream of tarter. Leave to cool at room temperature, add the yeast and lemon juice. Ferment for 3 days, strain, bottle and leave for a week in a cool place.

The OP on this thread said that he followed the instructions (even the 3 days, then bottle part) and that it turned out very well although it improved greatly with age.
My batch was still bubbling, albeit very slowly, after a full week.

My question is this: Should I rack to a secondary and let it sit for a while, and if so how long, before I bottle? Or should I just go straight to bottle? And if I do go straight to the bottle is there anything bad that will happen, provided it is done fermenting?

I would say let it sit in primary for a little while longer, wait until fermentation has slowed way down. Then transfer to secondary. More than anything you want to give the wine time to clear, degas and keeo it away from the lees. Then you can bottle.

In my experience, even a wine that looks like it has finished fermenting after 2 months can fire up a little after bottling, leaving you with a fizzy wine that you wanted flat.

Dicky

Back