Damn Leak!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel-Reserve

Reaction score
whats up! I have a damn leak somewhere.. I'm using a ball lock corny and i cant seem to find the leak. i cleaned all gaskets, and checked them for cracks. nothing. I think its in the beer out. so what i'm going to do is, pressurize the keg, then disconnect both gas and beer out connects and see if it holds pressure, if it does, then it is the beer/gas. I dont know what else to do. i put lock tight on both of them and tightend them pretty damn good. i have the threaded ball lock connects.. but if that fails, any other suggestions? I have a party on the 15th that i have to supply brew to, and i'm having trouble with the damn leaks. .. AND>.. A side note. I have about 3-4 feet of beer line before the tap, and i'm pushing about 9-12 psi for it, but i'm either getting flat beer, or its coming out too damn foamy. any help would be appreciated.. thanks!!

BTW, i know its a leak cuz when i wake up the next morning and pull the relief valve, no pressure releases.. I filled up the keg with air the night before and then turned off the tank so i dont risk losing all my air. :(

Shouldn't need the loctite - the gasket under the post is what keeps it sealed, not the threads, and it should only need to be snug, not super tight. Best thing would be if you have some Stan San to spray some on the posts and the lid to see where it bubbles (the leak). You can also use a solution of dishsoap and water, or even gas leak detector solution. The leak detector stuff is what I finally needed to use because it is good at showing sloooooow leaks. Yours sounds bigger than that, though, so you might be good with the other stuff.

Wait... is there beer in the keg yet or not? The reason I'm confused is you said you fill up the keg with "AIR"... I suppose you meant Co2.

If you hit the keg with pressure and then disconnect, the reason you're not getting any venting is that the CO2 has dissolved into the beer and lowered the pressure in the headspace. You should get a small hiss, but it's not going to overwhelm you. If you leave the gas connected and don't get any soap bubbles after spraying connections down, you have no leaks.

i "had" beer in there, but it kept going flat due to the leak, so then i just filled it up with CO2 after i dumped the beer. (dont worry, there was only like a 40oz left of it anyway.) okay, so i wil try the things everyone said and get back to you all. its just damn frustrating when u think you did everything u could to NOT get a leak and u still get one.. hmmmm.. thanks again!

Did you keg lube the seals? I have a bunch of cornies and when I tore them down, I kinda did the mix and match with all the parts... I know, -derrrrrr-, but there are a few lids that don't sit "tight" on the top... I just slather up the main lid seal w/ keg lube and throw a few thin washers under the lid latch legs to make sure I have a tight fit... That is the only problem I have had... Well, that and a keg with a pinhole leak under the black rubber and one lid with a pinhole tear in a seam... *!@^&$#@$%^&&*$@#!*(^^%!

Back