Damn fruit fly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how did it get in there? get some foam stoppers if you use a flask.

Drosophila. If you're lucky, it was a white-eyed female. Rare as hen's teeth.

I had the same thing happen a month ago. I had always used foil. I rubber-banded a paper towel over the top and then used the foil. It still can breath and nothing can get in. Working great for me

Fruit flies ruined an entire batch of moose drool for me about 2 years ago.

Great gnashing of teeth occurs when they show up on brew or kegging day.

I have learned in that you can make a free homemade trap with some cider vinegar and a bit of rotting fruit in a small shallow glass covered with some saran wrap poked with some toothpick punched holes and this will draw them to that as opposed to my beer so I keep 2 of these traps on each side of the brew shed which helps keep them minimized. One other note is to put a drop of dish detergent in the vinegar to break surface tension so they drown easier and it works wonders on these small but evil, dirty sh*ts.

I use a small piece of nylon pantyhose and a rubber band to keep the flies out, then loose foil to stop anything smaller from drifting down.

Fruit flies typically carry acetobacter and will infect your beer.

I'd probably change that to MAY infect your beer, and if it doesn't, extra protein! :)

I'm sure there are LOTS of people on here who have had fruit flies in their beer without ever getting an infection.

I'd probably change that to MAY infect your beer, and if it doesn't, extra protein! :)

I'm sure there are LOTS of people on here who have had fruit flies in their beer without ever getting an infection.

No, it definitely infects the beer. the question is, is there enough acetobacter to really make a difference. If its a few flies then yeah probably, but just one, maybe not. If its in a starter then thats an automatic dump imo.

let me rephrase that. Fruit flies carry acetobacter on their feet.

No, it definitely infects the beer. the question is, is there enough acetobacter to really make a difference. If its a few flies then yeah probably, but just one, maybe not. If its in a starter then thats an automatic dump imo.

let me rephrase that. Fruit flies carry acetobacter on their feet.

Oh yeah, I agree that even one in a starter would be an automatic dump. I was just saying that I wouldn't dump 5 gallons of beer unless I actually observed an infection.

I've never had a problem until making a starter built up from the dregs of a sour saison. I've found them in it twice now. I'm still pushing forward, tasting at different steps with no off tastes that I can tell yet. I've always used foil, guess I need a foam stopper or something else now...

Did you get an infection from them? Or were you just grossed out by seeing them and dumped it?

Both occurred. The Moose Drool clone post-fruit flies looked like chocolate oatmeal and smelled like death. I actually did not brew another moose drool clone for over a year due to this batch and I love that stuff!
I am guessing they dive bombed the batch during the transfer to the keg as the beer was fine when I racked it from carboy..2 fruit fiy carcasses were floating in the scum of the top of the keg which is how I found what occurred.

Had to boil water through the keg and power clean it to get the funk out.

I have had fruit flies dive bomb my batch during brew day when I was brewing outdoors on the propane stove...those usually just get boiled up so no biggie.

Its the ones that get in there after fermentation or when you are chilling that will kill your beer with an infection.

Dumping 5 gallons made me hate these buggers as much as The Doctor hates Daleks.

Death to all fruit flies!

Probably something like clostridium bacteria, and not acetobacter. Acetobacter need oxygen to make vinegar, whereas clostridium is more than happy to work in a moderate pH environment free of O2.

And death to all fruit flies!

I'm one of those types that has to drink to get on an airplane. Let's just say I landed and within 3-4 hrs I had a batch of amazing ginger beer bottled with about 25 unwashed and sanitized bottles full of those bastards.

I'm usually very thorough with my cleaning and organizing but post Newfoundland party plane drunk got the best of me.

If you couldn't remake the starter could you wash the yeast in chlorine dioxide?

Brewing this weekend so I just made a new starter. If it was a batch of beer I would've continued but a starter no chance, plus I harvest my yeast via my starters so no chance in hell as it could've ruined future brews.

How do you know if you have an infection? I discovered day three after pitching my yeast there was no bubble action in the airlock. Closer inspection showed the hole was drilled out poorly that came with the kit. Pushing bung in further did not fully resolve as you could see a pinhole (?) Big enough for a fruit fly that i know i have in the room but as a rule everything is sealed properly. With this all wort kit I am to bottle at day 10-14 once the bubble action is less then every 3-4mins i believe. Well there has been zero bubble action but any slight pressure on the lid (now that i fixed with tape) and it does rise so guessing the yeasts was pretty close to being done at day 3 and hence the lack or no bubbles as it has not been able to reproduce enough pressure. Or is it hooped. Or am i just reading into it. There was no where near the foaming action as the pale ale i have going on right now. The beer I am talking about is a Carib lager. There was a small layer of bubbles but not huge foam. I used a Wyeast (Liquid) Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Vennge

How do you know if you have an infection? I discovered day three after pitching my yeast there was no bubble action in the airlock. Closer inspection showed the hole was drilled out poorly that came with the kit. Pushing bung in further did not fully resolve as you could see a pinhole (?) Big enough for a fruit fly that i know i have in the room but as a rule everything is sealed properly. With this all wort kit I am to bottle at day 10-14 once the bubble action is less then every 3-4mins i believe. Well there has been zero bubble action but any slight pressure on the lid (now that i fixed with tape) and it does rise so guessing the yeasts was pretty close to being done at day 3 and hence the lack or no bubbles as it has not been able to reproduce enough pressure. Or is it hooped. Or am i just reading into it. There was no where near the foaming action as the pale ale i have going on right now. The beer I am talking about is a Carib lager. There was a small layer of bubbles but not huge foam. I used a Wyeast (Liquid) Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Vennge

If you have brewed more than 5 good batches, you will know when you have an infection. Its not something you will miss..trust me.

Back