Dam Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
My kettle has a dome bottom with a center outlet. No amount of effort to build screens or standpipes has resulted in a satisfactory configuration for leaving all the kettle crap behind.

So I am putting together a dedicated whirlpool vessel. It’s about done but the issue I have is that the outlet is right at the bottom of the vessel. I have a simple elbow that fits the outlet to raise the draw level up a bit. But I’d still like to restrict the trub.

I have a coil for cooling installed and a port for recirculating. I am thinking of adding a trub dam and would love to get your thoughts and wisdom. I have some SS sheet (3” x 36”) which I can use. I am thinking of bending it so as to pick up the vessel’s curve while creating a cavity around the outlet. Pretty much as others have done. Thoughts, ideas, advice?

For my kettle I built a 'ring manifold', using copper pipe and 45° elbows. I drilled a lot of 1/4" holes in the straight runs and slipped ss braid over it. I left a few joints unsoldered so I can pull ot out for cleaning.

At flameout, I do a manual whirlpool (big spoon method) and wait 10-20 minutes. Most of the garbage settles in the center, and the braid gets most of the rest. When I get close to empty, I gently lean the kettle toward the outlet side, and lose very little wort.

The concensus seems to be that this stuff does no harm. I just like clear wort.

For my kettle I built a 'ring manifold', using copper pipe and 45° elbows. I drilled a lot of 1/4" holes in the straight runs and slipped ss braid over it. I left a few joints unsoldered so I can pull ot out for cleaning.

At flameout, I do a manual whirlpool (big spoon method) and wait 10-20 minutes. Most of the garbage settles in the center, and the braid gets most of the rest. When I get close to empty, I gently lean the kettle toward the outlet side, and lose very little wort.

The concensus seems to be that this stuff does no harm. I just like clear wort.

I like clear wort and I like leaving trub behind. I believe it is best left and to do so improves ones beer.

Thanks for your response. I like your solution.

Took another look. It's called the Anvil Kettle Strainer. As far as I can tell, it's a tee with two strands of braid. The braid appears to be filled with short segments of metal tube to keep it from collapsing. Good design, you would have to decide about the price.

I built something along the same lines a few years ago. It filtered well, but I gave it away, I found I preferred a rigid system that would stay where it was told.

Back