Daily Supplements...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
So I don't know why, but lately I've been coming here a lot for advice other than beer brewing, today: Daily Supplements.

As you may or may not know I am training for the police academy (took my civil service test today) and within 2 weeks I should know if I'm eligible to take the physical exam, and then hopefully if I pass, entrance to the police academy.

Anyway, my wife and I decided that regardless of the outcome we'd like to work out more and just have a healthier outlook on life and one thing we've been debating: what kind of daily supplement should we use? as of now we bought the Centrium daily jobbers, but on our way to the store we passed a GNC and we got to thinking.

So, without waltzing into GNC with no idea of what to look for does anyone have any experience/recommendations of good supplements to take daily and any for working out?

Without talking to a doctor, I'd say a daily multi vitamin is about all you need. Much of the supplement industry is smoke and mirrors.

Don't go to GNC. They're way overpriced, the selection is terrible, and I have yet to run into a GNC employee that had any ****ing clue what they were talking about.

For something daily, I'd just go with a multi or men's multi. That's pretty much all you need.
I focus on making healthy food choices instead of pill choices.
x10^1000000000
Supplements are just that. They supplement your diet.
When working out, I take creatine before working out, usually Ultra Fuel during the workout (half your daily value of carbs in one convenient beverage lol), and whey protein afterwards. However, I'm trying to put on weight, so that's why. I've taken a whole range of stuff when I was really into body building. Some works, most doesn't. That's why I just stick with those 3 now...they definitely work and they're cheap.

Beware. Some of the protein supplements are total garbage, so you have to be careful with those. The type of protein they use to be shelf stable aren't usable by your body. You just pee them out and destroy your kidneys in the process.

The type of protein they use to be shelf stable aren't usable by your body. You just pee them out and destroy your kidneys in the process.
False. Whey protein is the same protein found in dairy products. The only difference between the protein in a glass of milk and powdered whey protein is that one is powdered and one isn't.
With whey protein, I went from 144 to 190 in a year. Trust me, it works. The bioavailability of whey protein is higher than eggs, meat, etc.

Well, you edited my post. I said SOME of them are. You just have to do some research and not grab the first thing you see on the shelf.

False. Whey protein is the same protein found in dairy products. The only difference between the protein in a glass of milk and powdered whey protein is that one is powdered and one isn't.
With whey protein, I went from 144 to 190 in a year. Trust me, it works. The bioavailability of whey protein is higher than eggs, meat, etc.

Dairy products actually contain 80% Casein protein. Whey is usually only found in cheese in regards to dairy products. But I will agree that nothing beats protein from a good diet.

Personally, I take whey protein and creatine. This is on top of eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of exercise.

Ditto on GNC. They are way over priced. Do your homework, decide what you want, then go and find the best price online.

Steroids.png

Oh man, that is just scary.

Oh, and if you do take protein supplements or even just go with a high protein diet, make sure you drink plenty of fluids.

Eat reasonably healthy, take a good daily multivitamin, get plenty of rest. I think you'll do just fine. Regards, GF.

So, without waltzing into GNC with no idea of what to look for does anyone have any experience/recommendations of good supplements to take daily and any for working out?

I would say that would be a bad idea. As soon as you showed any sign of not knowing what you wanted/needed the salesman would be all over you. You'd probably walk out of there spending a lot more than you intended to.

Get a good Multi Vitamin.
Fish Oil Capsules are your friend.

Are you using the gym purely for maintenance? Or are you trying to bulk up / slim down?

There's a whole range of products you could incorporate into your daily regimen, depending on what your goals are.

The only things I take (other than for medical reasons) are a multi-vitamin & 2 grams of C.

I take a multi, fish oil caps, and a handful of other various supplements and vitamins.

I would say that would be a bad idea. As soon as you showed any sign of not knowing what you wanted/needed the salesman would be all over you. You'd probably walk out of there spending a lot more than you intended to.

hence why I don't want to walk in there without any pointers.

so far I think I'm just going to stick with the multi-vitamin for now.

I'm not looking to replace anything with a supplement and I do realize that they are just that, just was curious if there was anything worth trying/looking into.

If you're trying ot put on weight, creatine and whey protien. I like the ON Gold Standard...most other protein shakes make me have liquid doodoo.
If you're trying to slim down, green tea caps, half a grapefruit 1-3x a day, and a cup ro two of coffee, combined with otherwise eating right of course.
x2 on the fish oil. The evidence for their benefit is so overwhelming, I can't think of any reason not to take them. Here's a good article about it's cancer fighting properties, but this will probably be over a lot of people's heads:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Another good one:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

It's important to really watch portion sizes. It's easy to take a whole plate of a "healthy" dish and think you're ok. Granted, a whole plate of a healthy dish is better than a Whopper or half a pizza. But portioning is key.

You want to eat several small meals a day as opposed to the traditional three bigger meals. Eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day keeps your metabolism going, which is key to losing weight and getting the most out of your food.

It's really amazing how much food you actually need to consume when it's healthy food. But it's all good for you.

When SWMBO and I got serious about our eating habits I noticed several changes:

• I had more energy, all the time. Even when I woke up, I woke up full bore.
  • BM's become more frequent and regular, like clockwork. (sorry, kinda gross....but true)
  • Waist started shrinking. I have gone from a 42 inch waist to a 34 inch waist.
  • When I cut out the energy drinks it was rough for about a week. Now I am fully weaned off of them and I have felt much better (cave every once in a while, though).
  • I am hypoglycemic so I really watch my sugar intake, as well as my simple carb intake (I reserve most of my alloted simple carbs for my beer on the weekends) This too can be attributed to my overall sense of good health.
There are so many "health problems" out there that do not require any medication whatsoever, but simply a better hold on ones diet.

I think I'm starting to veer way off the OP's initial question.

Perhaps I'll resume this elsewhere.

You want to eat several small meals a day as opposed to the traditional three bigger meals. Eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day keeps your metabolism going, which is key to losing weight and getting the most out of your food.

+1 on this. Eat the same amount you'd eat in the 3 meals and spread it out. Does great things.

I think I'm starting to veer way off the OP's initial question.

Perhaps I'll resume this elsewhere.

not at all, much appreciated!! my wife and I have been debating whether or not to see a nutritionalist (is that a term?) anyway, we aren't total slobs and eat very healthy but I think we just don't have the portions and combination correct.

we are both just want to eat healthy and be able to enjoy our two active children and not be one of those parents that sits on the park bench while their kids run around (we wanna be out there too!) :D another thing is that we don't want our kids to grow up eating nothing but junk (as of now our 2 yo has never had soda, and I can count on one hand each time she has had candy) we eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruits from the local farmer's market and try to avoid fast food joints.

anyway, thanks for the post!

+1 on this. Eat the same amount you'd eat in the 3 meals and spread it out. Does great things.

:thumbsup: much appreciated all, keep the advice coming.

That was part of our motivation for getting healthy: our daughter.

She is now 17 months old.

From the day my wife found out she was pregnant, we quit smoking cold turkey. I quit smoking, chewing and yes, drinking as per her wishes. If she wasn't allowed to drink, then neither was I.:eek:

We made all of our daughters baby food by hand with organic fruits, veggies and meats. No jarred food hence no preservatives, additives, etc.
Every saturday we went grocery shopping, and every sunday night we made baby food.

She wouldn't latch onto the breast, so SWMBO pumped as long as she could produce milk. Once she dried up, we bought organic baby formula.

Now she eats tofu, tons of veggies and fruits, chicken, fish, a little pork and red meat, Virgin Apfelwein (AKA 100% Apple Juice, so sugar added. also watered down 50/50 with water to reduce the amount of sugar), 2% milk (per doc's orders as both sides of our family has had some degree of weight issues) and tons of other foods. She actually loves veggies. Right now as I type she is elbow deep in a mound of peas.

So our eating healthy is driven in part by our desire to instill good eating habits into our daughter.

The best advice I can give due to temporal constraints is to read this book:
Amazon.com: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health: T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II, John Robbins, Howard Lyman: Books
It will blow your mind about a lot of things. It's a very, very easy read, but doesn't skimp in the hard evidence department.

Oh yeah, and a little something extra from me....stop getting flu shots. They have mercury in them, and they're only a guess at what strain is going around at best. Since no one can predict the future and you're getting mercury into your blood stream, the cost far, far outweighs the benefit. Take some vitamin D and wash your hands after coming in contact with people/public things like doors. Vitamin D article:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very easy-

Vitamin is essential. The newer stuff like effervescent vitamins really help absorption.
Protein shakes- post workout are essential (within 30 min).
Gallon of water a day- min. Cold is better.
Food- Good nutrition is essential. A well put together diet is hard but very satisfying.
How many times a day you eat. 4-6 is best. Doesn't matter how well your diet is put together when you eat once a day.
Sleep- extremely important.
Exercise- doesnt matter if you just take the stairs instead of the elevator.

Brauhuas, if you are serious on getting into vitamins and becoming more energetic/healthy PM me. My wife knows a lot about them and sells them on the side.

Back