"Dago Red" Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyfattori

Reaction score
My grandfather made a "Dago Red" and I found a recipe on Jack Kellers site that I'm going to try to see if it's a close match to my grandfathers.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request172.asp

I have 2 questions for you guys.. He says to "crush the grapes then move into primary" does that mean the entire must with the stems, skins and seeds? Also do I not need to press it at all for the recipe? Just wondering so I can get the necessary equipment for I get my 72lbs of grapes.

Also how long can you age Dago Red for in the right conditions? Does it go bad? Sorry for the simple questions. I can't find the answers about this specific recipe and Jack Kellers e-mail is down so I cannot e-mail him and ask I tried 2x.

I just put in the grapes (with seeds) after they are crushed- not the stems. And yes, you press after primary, to get the juice out of the grapes. If you don’t have a press, you can put the crushed grapes in big sanitized nylon bags for primary, and then squeeze those bags hard to get all of the juice you can out of them with sanitized hands, and transfer all of the juice into the carboy.

You can age it a long time, just like any wine. You would probably want to use sulfites at every other racking and at bottling, to ensure it will last.

Back