Daddy-daughter brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tute

Reaction score
My older daughter was a daddy's girl from the start, in that tomboy sort of way. She's always been my shadow, a smaller and more female version of my tastes and interests and even physical appearance, with a small dash of my wife's personality thrown in to keep us from killing one another.

The older kid's off to college now, not too far away, but not living right here with us anymore, either. There's a boyfriend too, of course. Her kid sister (her mother's daughter in every way) is still around some, but mostly doing her own thing.

I have some time now. I've taken up brewing beer as a hobby. Turns out, it's not just my hobby anymore.

The older daughter is, if anything, more enthusiastic about brewing than I am. She's taken to planning her weekends to be able to help me with bottling and my (currently very minor) brew days. She has selected our first all-grain recipe, a brown ale, and wanted to brew it last weekend. Alas, it will be a few weeks before other batches are out of the way enough to try it.

I know that part of this swan song of time together is just a matter of my daughter needing a way to unwind during her difficult academics and college stress, but isn't that what dads and home brewing are for? I don't know how much longer I will have like this, doing these little tasks with her, but I am grateful for every batch we make. They taste even better for the time together that's in those bottles.

I don't really have point to this post, other than this is a great hobby for reasons beyond the obvious result of having beer at the end.

I have my youngest hold the racking cane and tip the pot when I'm siphoning out the last bit of beer from the bottling pot (which by day is my wife's favorite stock pot). She thinks homebrewing is cool. Then again, she's ten.

My daughter is only 7 and hopefully one day she will be interested enough to participate in my brew days.

Even at her age, I've realized that she will only grow up once. If you don't do things with your kids now, then when will you?

Dude, I am so jealous of you.... in a good way that is <g>.

My daughter is 15 months old. Maybe that's where we will be in 18 years...

(The pic is from about 6 months ago...)

1780661_934274694310_8452145540518705576_n.jpg

my tow boys(4 & 2) fight over who gets to help dad dry hop the beer. someday i hope they take interest in the brewing process that we can do it together. knowing my luck they will be brewing beer before they of legal age to consume their product.

I have 3 daughters. They were grown and gone before I started brewing. However, they are staunch advocates of my hobby. And especially the results!

My oldest has ZERO interest in beer or brewing. She has helped without complaining if I asked, but it's the younger one who always jumped in to help brew and wanted to brew with me.

Then teenage years hit and while she is still somewhat interested, she is easily distracted by the downtime. She doesn't care for beer at all, so that makes it all seem less worthwhile to her.

Thankfully she will still help when I need an extra hand and she still loves to help me bottle when I need to bottle.

Back