American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great beer. A lot of firsts for me.
First all grain in my new kettle/wilserbag BIAB setup.
First successful allgrain, 2nd overall. (Made a sweet half fermented Irish stout)
Firs time not using a kit.
First time oxygenating my wort
First time kegging:tank:
First time dryhopping.
First beer that I'm actually proud to share!

Is a bit foamy, still need to learn how to set up keg serving pressure.....
Thanks Yoop!

Tommydee, I force carb at 25 at 40 degrees and tilt back and forth until it will not receive anymore co2 and the let sit for a day. At that point I move down to 10-12psi and let sit another day or two. There always seems to be foam when I first open the tap, so I go straight into an old Clorox wipe canister until I see that pass. Then serve with normal head.

Guys, i am going to brew this on the weekend, but i brew 1 gallon batches and i am not too sure if i got beersmith configured correctly to scale to 1 gallon.

Does anyone have this already scaled so i can compare to what i got?

Thanks

I brewed this as a 2.5 gallon batch 2 weeks ago during a raging blizzard. Efficiency ended up being higher than predicted (my second all grain batch) and ended up with a 1.062 OG. Finished out at 1.012 FG and has been bottled. Really looking forward to trying this one.

Reporting back after giving this recipe a try, its delicious, one of the best beers i have ever brewed.

One thing thou, by reading the comments i would expect this beer to have a little more malt backbone than it turned out to have, i blame Beersmith for the scaling to 1 gallon, the grain proportions are changed comparing to the original recipe, i ended up with a lesser percentage of munich and crystal malts.

Do you guys have any experience with this scenario? I will brew this again soon but this time i will scale the grains by hand keeping the percentages...

Reporting back after giving this recipe a try, its delicious, one of the best beers i have ever brewed.

One thing thou, by reading the comments i would expect this beer to have a little more malt backbone than it turned out to have, i blame Beersmith for the scaling to 1 gallon, the grain proportions are changed comparing to the original recipe, i ended up with a lesser percentage of munich and crystal malts.

Do you guys have any experience with this scenario? I will brew this again soon but this time i will scale the grains by hand keeping the percentages...

Weird that the amounts changed for a smaller batch. I'd do what you suggest and keep the percentages the same, and go wit that.

I'm brewing my own concept of this pale ale via extract (yoopers seen the recipe via pm). It's very similar to this one. My question is I would like a 3 week primary (dry hopping the last 7 days in a sterilized muslin bag with 1oz hops) and 3 week bottling for a total of 6 weeks. I'm torn between using us-05 or wyeast 1450 Dennys ale strain. I've read these can both be slow starters. I'm not worried about the beer clarity and don't have a way to cold crash. I can either ferment around 60f or 72ish (if that would speed things up). I can even do a combo of the two. Per brewersfriend recipe calculator the us-05 would get me around 6.25% and Denny's would get me around 5.78% after attenuation. The Denny's would make the beer fall under pale ale guidelines also but it's just for me and a few friends so I definitely wouldn't turn down the extra abv lol. Whats a good recommendation? I'm using some hops to get a bit of a citrusy flavor and wouldn't mind the Denny's to help make this a tad more malt forward. This is going on mid july and is slated to be ready by the Florida State kickoff game.

You definitely don't want to ferment at 72. Moving it to the 72° space when you dry hop may help it finish faster, but spend the first week in the 60° space.

I'm brewing my own concept of this pale ale via extract (yoopers seen the recipe via pm). It's very similar to this one. My question is I would like a 3 week primary (dry hopping the last 7 days in a sterilized muslin bag with 1oz hops) and 3 week bottling for a total of 6 weeks. I'm torn between using us-05 or wyeast 1450 Dennys ale strain. I've read these can both be slow starters. I'm not worried about the beer clarity and don't have a way to cold crash. I can either ferment around 60f or 72ish (if that would speed things up). I can even do a combo of the two. Per brewersfriend recipe calculator the us-05 would get me around 6.25% and Denny's would get me around 5.78% after attenuation. The Denny's would make the beer fall under pale ale guidelines also but it's just for me and a few friends so I definitely wouldn't turn down the extra abv lol. Whats a good recommendation? I'm using some hops to get a bit of a citrusy flavor and wouldn't mind the Denny's to help make this a tad more malt forward. This is going on mid july and is slated to be ready by the Florida State kickoff game.

Is there any way to get the temp to closer to 65? With US-05 you might get some peach flavors at 60 F. I have no experience with Denny's. I brew this beer with US-05 and it is wonderful but keep the temp about 66 for the first week then bump it up to 70 or so to finish. That gives a very clean fermentation with little to no yeast contribution to the flavor.

For $30 a laundry tub, a fish tank heater, and put you fermenter in the tub full of water will get you very close to 67 degrees

My only option right now is either an ice bath or room temp. The ice bath water temp'd out around 60f. I change out with a fresh frozen 1 gallon jug every 12 hours or so. So the temp varies between 60f and I'd say 68ish. It's not exact but it's the only option I have at this time :(

If your wort is mid 60s at pitch, and in a 60-65° bath after fermentation has started, it will probably stay in the mid 60s for the peak of fermentation. . Fermentation naturally creates heat and the wort will be several degrees warmer than it's surroundings. Especially in a bucket, which insulates the wort more so than a pet carboy. Once pass the peak 2-4 days, just move it to room temp or cease the ice bottles for it to finish up.

Thanks Jwin! I guess the answer at this point will be if the LHBS has Denny's I'll probably go that route. If not then us-05. I'm really hoping to give the Denny's yeast a shot this batch though. Either way I'm going to take the advice and ferment in the ice bath for 4 days or so

Brewing this up right now as first brew on my new EBIAB setup. Modified hop bill to Mosaic and adjusted additions to account for increased AA%. Very excited to try it out.

Brewed this up yesterday and it's fermenting away as I type this. My OG was 3 points low, I'm guessing my boil off amount is different now that it's hot and humid out. I used wlp090 as I didn't have any wlp001 on hand.

I love Cascade so I can't wait to try this

Brewed on June 10, kegged last Sunday. Poured my first pint tonight. Excellent! Easy drinking APA with enough hops to make your taste buds happy. I used all Mosaic for this first batch, but I am sure to experiment with them. This will definitely be on my rotation. Thanks, Yooper!

20170712_172415_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Brewed an extract version of this 7/10 with US-05. Used Cascade, Citra, and Galaxy hops. Going to let it clear out in the secondary and try dry hopping. This should be bottled and ready in time for the Florida State football kickoff!

Just poured my 1st one tonight. Delicious. A little hoppy with a nice malty backbone.
Followed recipe exactly except used Omega West Coast Ale I...yeast.This is a keeper.
Thanks Yooper!

Just bottled this batch. Man it was tasty. A tad sweet from the priming sugar though. Ready to taste this fully carbed for the Florida State game! Thanks for the recipe yooper!

I have made this beer 10 times. Yesterday I thought I would try something new with it so I boiled 4 sliced jalapeños to add to the dry hop stage. Hope it turns out. This is an awesome drink Yooper

I think i need to give it a try !!! Seems like everybody is enjoying it.
Cheers for the recipe.

Finally getting around to posting a pic of my version of Yooper’s pale ale . This is my first time making this beer, or any of yoop’s recipes and I’m glad I finally did. I used some of my homegrown cascades from this past season for the later additions and It turned out really well. So far this is the best tasting beer I’ve made to date. Maybe it is the combination of dialing in my process, and selecting a really good recipe as well! Now that I’m down towards the end of the keg, it has a really nice floral smell and creamy taste. I would suggest this to anyone that likes pale ales.
Happy Brewyear everyone!! :bott:

Attachments

• 69F3A72C-EEE5-4ACF-9EFC-122E5DB455E1.jpeg
    69F3A72C-EEE5-4ACF-9EFC-122E5DB455E1.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 481
Had the first pour of this today. I followed as closely as I could except I didn't dryhop at all, turned out very well. Thanks for the recipe.

I made a second batch using this grain bill and tapped the keg last weekend. Fantastic! Used different hops and increased the IBUs a bit (around 55 or so), and tastes wonderful. Hoppy pale ales are my favourite style of beer, and this will be my go-to recipe. I think I will have to dedicate one of my taps to this beer.

Yoop, (or anyone with pertinent knowledge on the subject)

I am going to be brewing this next week and was wondering about water profile.
I am planning to make it fairly balanced with .5 gram gypsum per gallon and .5 gram CaCl per gallon. This should put me at 66 calcium, 63 Cl, and 74 SO4 (all in ppm). Does this look like a solid water profile for this beer? I am using distilled water and adding just these salts and then acidifying with lactic acid if necessary. Just want to know what the ideal water profile would be for this brew.

Yoop, (or anyone with pertinent knowledge on the subject)

I am going to be brewing this next week and was wondering about water profile.
I am planning to make it fairly balanced with .5 gram gypsum per gallon and .5 gram CaCl per gallon. This should put me at 66 calcium, 63 Cl, and 74 SO4 (all in ppm). Does this look like a solid water profile for this beer? I am using distilled water and adding just these salts and then acidifying with lactic acid if necessary. Just want to know what the ideal water profile would be for this brew.

This was answered via private message- but for anybody else who reads this, that is a good basic profile, with a mash pH of 5.3-5.4 a great target.

Going for my 3rd batch of this recipe, but made some changes. Going with comet and Idaho 7 (now called 007, the golden hop??), and had a few extra ozs of each base malt so it will have 11# rather than 10#.

Both versions prior to this were some of my best efforts, which makes it easy with a solid recipe!

Life got busy getting married, buying house, etc --- just brewed this recipe as my first batch in a year.

Used Chinook and Citra, looking forward to it!

My last few brews have involved coconut, a metric ton of hops, juice, zest, etc... and I'm looking for a nice simple, clean, beer for my next brew day.

I think this might be it!

I pitched this directly onto a 34/70 yeast cake from a previous lager, at first i thought i had a disaster but after lagering for about a month it's good -- but way different than the standard recipe.

I added the dryhops and took a gravity reading this past weekend (sitting at 1.010, hoping it stays there).

I tasted a bit from the sample, and was really impressed... for an unfinished, uncarb'd, warm beer, it tasted really nice, perfectly balanced.

Looking forward to bottling next weekend and enjoying the brews a couple weeks after that.

Thanks for the recipe.

Got my go at this recipe in bottles last Saturday and I couldn't help but crack my test bottle this evening (5 days old).

Great beer!

Malty, I taste a little bit of a caramel note, with the slightly bitter citrus/grapefruit cascade following it.

Very nice!

Brew day was supposed to be a fishing day with the wife, but it was rainy and cold so turned into a brew day instead.

So I called my go at this beer "Gone Fishin' Pale Ale". :)

Thanks for the Recipe Yooper.

EDIT: I just now realized I mislabeled the Bottled date. >_< lol A Sharpie will fix that. :p

eBFwsYO.jpg

DT0kJQJ.jpg

Last edited:
Found this thread a couple of years ago and added it to my list instantly but never got round to giving it a go. Gonna brew it this weekend, using the original grain bill and the cascade/summit hop schedule that someone posted. Just wanted to keep this mammoth thread going!

Found this thread a couple of years ago and added it to my list instantly but never got round to giving it a go. Gonna brew it this weekend, using the original grain bill and the cascade/summit hop schedule that someone posted. Just wanted to keep this mammoth thread going!
It's one of my favorite recipes on this site! I have some iteration of it in my inventory always. I play with the hop additions with each batch. They're all delicious!!

Good luck and hope it turns out well!

For what its worth this is my intended recipe for tomorrow, after I have converted to the metric system (insert Pulp Fiction line), switched to the Weyermann equivalent malts and reduced for my batch size of 15l (I reduced by a factor of 0.9 rather than 0.75 though since I never get close to 75% efficiency). I just tried to keep the % of grains of the original and aim as close to 1.058:

Malt:
Pale Malt 2kg
Vienna malt 1.2kg
Munich malt 800g
Carahell 200g
Caramunich III 200g

Planning to mash at 65 celsius.

Hops:

Cascade 30g @60 mins
Cascade 15g @ 30 mins
Summit 15g @15 mins
Summit 15g @ Flameout