D-rest too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaineT

Reaction score
Octoberfest Marzen OG 1.057
WLP830 into 2 fermenters at 60F, lowered to 48F

Fermenter #1 hits 1.026 after 10 days
Fermenter #2 no SG check :smack:

Both had krausen and dropped as expected with #2 being a few days later than #1

At day 11 slowly raised temp over 6 days (2 degrees/day) to 60F

#1 hits 1.016 at day 17
#2 hits 1.026 at day 17 :confused:

I'll go ahead and cold crash #1 and leave #2 at 60F, hopefully the D-rest was not too early for #2 but I'm not detecting any diacetyl in either. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I wouldn't worry too much about doing the rest too early. You were likely nearing the end of fermentation after 11 days, or at least close enough to the point where it wouldn't matter if you started raising temp. I might be a little worried that it's been almost 3 weeks and still at 1026.

I wouldn't worry too much about doing the rest too early. You were likely nearing the end of fermentation after 11 days, or at least close enough to the point where it wouldn't matter if you started raising temp. I might be a little worried that it's been almost 3 weeks and still at 1026.

Thanks for the reply. How's IA?...hot? I lived there for 30 years, I don't miss the humidity.

I think I'll cold crash the one that's at 1.016 and continue with D-rest on the other till it hits the same.

It's been exceptionally hot this year which i don't particularly care for. When I moved here 8 years ago after getting out of the military, I'd thought it'd be more or less a transition point until I found someplace nicer. But, I've become an Iowegian. Schools are good, property is cheap, and I sit out in the street drinking with my neighbors (who have actually become my friends) on a weekly and sometimes nightly basis.

With your beer that's at 1026, I might think about bumping the temp up even more.

Yeah seems really hard to get neighbors here to be that social. Maybe I'm in the wrong part of the cities or it's that I work nights. I went ahead and took the 1026 out if the chamber and into my basement where it shouldn't get over 72F. I'll cold crash it when hits 1016 or so.

Latest posts

Back