"D" rest in lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first lager. I used 6.6lbs Coopers light, 1.5oz Saaz, Irish moss, boil 55min., 1.0oz. Cascades finish for 3 min, WLP840 lager yeast in 6gal. carboy. Pitched the yeast at 68F, brought temp down to 65F 2nd day. Plan on taking carboy into 48-50F basement on day 4 or so and leave it for a month and a half or so....suggestions :)

I hear something about "D" rest when using a lager yeast......

Can anyone explain how to do this? I have read what it was but kinda ??? on steps needed.

Thanks, Don
:tank:

Not sure, haven't made a lager (I like my ales!) but that "D" refers to a Diacetyl rest. -

WLP840 likes to ferment at 50-55F so you might have a "steam beer" on your hands (lager yeasts at ale temps)

Whatever yeast you use, do some homework and see what the mfg says is best - White Labs Lager Yeast Page

It will still be beer - !

Welcome to HBT!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-tell-if-your-lager-needs-diacetyl-rest-115198/

The wiki also has a good article about fermenting lagers:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Fermenting_Lagers

and of course, How-to-Brew has an opinion on the subject:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10.html

Personally, if you want brew lagers regularly "New brewing lager beer" by Noonan is essential reading. Best brewing book I have read for ales and lagers IMO
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381462/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first lager. I used 6.6lbs Coopers light, 1.5oz Saaz, Irish moss, boil 55min., 1.0oz. Cascades finish for 3 min, WLP840 lager yeast in 6gal. carboy. Pitched the yeast at 68F, brought temp down to 65F 2nd day. Plan on taking carboy into 48-50F basement on day 4 or so and leave it for a month and a half or so....suggestions :)

I hear something about "D" rest when using a lager yeast......

Can anyone explain how to do this? I have read what it was but kinda ??? on steps needed.

Thanks, Don
:tank:

When i'm sure fermentation is done, I take my carboys out of the fridge and let them sit at room temp for a day or so. The yeast will be able to clean up any Diacytl and Acetaldehyde. I'll then cold crash at around 32 for a few days before transferring to a keg for lagering

When i'm sure fermentation is done, I take my carboys out of the fridge and let them sit at room temp for a day or so. The yeast will be able to clean up any Diacytl and Acetaldehyde. I'll then cold crash at around 32 for a few days before transferring to a keg for lagering

I am not saying this doesn't work, but all the literature I have read says that diactyl cannot be significantly reduced after fermentation is complete. It takes active fermentation for the yeast to metabolize the diacytl. After fermentation, krausening can have a positive effect on reducing diacytl....

I am not saying this doesn't work, but all the literature I have read says that diactyl cannot be significantly reduced after fermentation is complete. It takes active fermentation for the yeast to metabolize the diacytl. After fermentation, krausening can have a positive effect on reducing diacytl....

Interesting. I wonder how many things I have done, and swear by, are simply because I'm to paranoid to change my process. It seems to work for me but others it may not. I love this website!

Don't take it from me man. I don't know anything. I just like to read books and brew beer :D

I like to read about the science behind brewing because science is not usually anecdotal. When you know the why and the how, you are way ahead of the game.

Palmer recommends doing a d-rest when primary fermentation is about 3/4 of the way done.

What you basically do (from How to Brew) is when primary fermentation is about 3/4 of the way done, you raise the temperature of the beer to around 60F for 24 - 48 hrs until primary fermentation is finished.

Not sure, haven't made a lager (I like my ales!) but that "D" refers to a Diacetyl rest. -

WLP840 likes to ferment at 50-55F so you might have a "steam beer" on your hands (lager yeasts at ale temps)

Whatever yeast you use, do some homework and see what the mfg says is best - White Labs Lager Yeast Page

It will still be beer - !

Welcome to HBT!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I started my lager yeast at a higher temp (68F - on the bottle it says, 70F) the first day and then brought it down to 48-50F, I plan on bring it even lower (38-40F) after I move it to my secondary fermenter and plan to let it sit there for a few months.:drunk:

I did follow the suggested temps listed on Whitelabs site....What U think?
WLP840 American Lager Yeast
This yeast is used to produce American style lagers. Dry and clean with a very slight apple fruitiness. Sulfur and diacetyl production is minimal.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55°F
(10-13°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium
Review this strain

You will have beer. A high starting temps works but often results in much more yeast derivative flavor (e.g., fruity, spicy, yeasty notes). If you don't like the results change your process next time. What you did is fine, if not preferred.

You will have beer. A high starting temps works but often results in much more yeast derivative flavor (e.g., fruity, spicy, yeasty notes). If you don't like the results change your process next time. What you did is fine, if not preferred.

To let everyone know....My first Lager was a great sucess. Everyone loved it. I stored is in a cory keg in the refer and tapped it. Very nice.

I used the White Labs American Lager Yeast is used to produce American style lagers. Dry and clean with a very slight apple fruitiness. Sulfur and diacetyl production is minimal.
http://brewit123.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_9_11&products_id=2

I now have 2 more lagers brewing along with a Porter :) YUM! :ban:

Back